Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak Accessory Cover

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Oil Leak Accessory Cover

CC #283. 200Hrs TT. Lower Left Accessory cover rear of engine. After talking to CubCrafters, looks like the Clean and JB Weld attempt to fix will be tried. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but the idea of just having these stuck in place with some kind of glue/ epoxy from the inside seems crazy and would be prone to failure-as it has. I really would think there is a safer/better way to have these Four covers mounted, and not risk losing your oil?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Default Re: Oil Leak Accessory Cover

Have you made sure your crankcase isn't pressurized due to the vent tube being clogged where it dumps into the exhaust?
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCubDriver View Post
    Have you made sure your crankcase isn't pressurized due to the vent tube being clogged where it dumps into the exhaust?
    Yes, the vent tube is completely clear. Still No oil should leak from there regardless. The oil leaks constant if the oil level is above 4.5 quarts, since it appears the tail low parked position puts the aft oil level at the accessory cover level.
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

My left mag cover and the cover below the right mag was leaking. After hearing about one gentleman that had one of the covers nearly come off I decided to remove and replace all four lower covers with bolt on plates like Steve did. There's also a 5th plate up high on the accessory case where a vacuum pump would normally be located....I left that cover in place as it appears fine at this point. In my opinion the two lower plates are critical as the oil level at 4 1/2 quarts is level with the opening ....anything above that level will leak out of the openings...especially the right one with the tail down. The holes for the plates were already threaded,but full of glue which was time consuming to remove. After 38 years as an A&P I've never heard of gluing on parts like this! From a safety standpoint I feel much better knowing that these are now sealed and bolted on.

Quote Originally Posted by jim plaster View Post
    My left mag cover and the cover below the right mag was leaking. After hearing about one gentleman that had one of the covers nearly come off I decided to remove and replace all four lower covers with bolt on plates like Steve did. There's also a 5th plate up high on the accessory case where a vacuum pump would normally be located....I left that cover in place as it appears fine at this point. In my opinion the two lower plates are critical as the oil level at 4 1/2 quarts is level with the opening ....anything above that level will leak out of the openings...especially the right one with the tail down. The holes for the plates were already threaded,but full of glue which was time consuming to remove. After 38 years as an A&P I've never heard of gluing on parts like this! From a safety standpoint I feel much better knowing that these are now sealed and bolted on.
    Thank you, no leaks here but seems like a good thing to do at annual.

AG
    TRUE-COURSE AVIATION INSURANCE - CA License 0G87202

Wondering what the latest is on these cover plates? I think my O-340 is one that has the glued on plates but haven't seen any serial number or model lists.

I looked in the Owner Support area before posting this to see if there was anything there.

Thanks.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Wondering what the latest is on these cover plates? I think my O-340 is one that has the glued on plates but haven't seen any serial number or model lists.

I looked in the Owner Support area before posting this to see if there was anything there.

Thanks.
    I would also like a list of those SNs that have glued on plates.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post

Thanks.
    It has been a month and I still have the same questions?
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I looked at the first set of parts yesterday. We have to tweak one of the covers, but I expect to be ready to ship the first set this week.
    Jon Delamarter
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    jond@cubcrafters.com
    Office (509)367-5200

Steve,

The correct adhesive is PARTITE 7310 Methacrylate adhesive. There's a specific cleaning and prepping procedure that must be performed before applying the adhesive. If you'll give me a call, I'll give you a hand with this.

Thanks,
    Jon Delamarter
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    jond@cubcrafters.com
    Office (509)367-5200