Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak Accessory Cover

Default Oil Leak Accessory Cover

CC #283. 200Hrs TT. Lower Left Accessory cover rear of engine. After talking to CubCrafters, looks like the Clean and JB Weld attempt to fix will be tried. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but the idea of just having these stuck in place with some kind of glue/ epoxy from the inside seems crazy and would be prone to failure-as it has. I really would think there is a safer/better way to have these Four covers mounted, and not risk losing your oil?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Default Re: Oil Leak Accessory Cover

Have you made sure your crankcase isn't pressurized due to the vent tube being clogged where it dumps into the exhaust?
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCubDriver View Post
    Have you made sure your crankcase isn't pressurized due to the vent tube being clogged where it dumps into the exhaust?
    Yes, the vent tube is completely clear. Still No oil should leak from there regardless. The oil leaks constant if the oil level is above 4.5 quarts, since it appears the tail low parked position puts the aft oil level at the accessory cover level.

Steve,

The correct adhesive is PARTITE 7310 Methacrylate adhesive. There's a specific cleaning and prepping procedure that must be performed before applying the adhesive. If you'll give me a call, I'll give you a hand with this.

Thanks,
    Jon Delamarter
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    jond@cubcrafters.com
    Office (509)367-5200

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Delamarter View Post
    Steve,

The correct adhesive is PARTITE 7310 Methacrylate adhesive. There's a specific cleaning and prepping procedure that must be performed before applying the adhesive. If you'll give me a call, I'll give you a hand with this.

Thanks,
    Ah thank God the Cavalry has arrived! Thank you for the fast response, phone call and support Jon.
    So the fix-it is to remove and replace the accessory cover and carefully follow the clean and re-glue
    procedures. The kit is in the mail👍

For those of you that may have the (older) (mine is #283) Accessory case with these Epoxy Glued on covers, I thought you may want to know what I did to fix what I feel to be a Potentialy serious issue. I had observed an oil leak on one of these covers. My I.A. and I removed the first cover to Borescope behind the other three covers in hopes of finding threaded bolt holes. Indeed all four have threaded bolt holes. When we Easily removed all four covers, the Epoxy Glue that Supposedly was to hold these covers on, All came out via Finger Pull. In other words, the epoxy was deteriorated to the point where it could easily fall into the engine oil and of course release the cover with excessive oil loss in flight and Contaminate the oil. We made aluminum covers and use the standard Lycoming gaskets. NO Epoxy does not work. Note the pic with all four covers and associated removed epoxy rings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (79.9 KB, 309 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (71.8 KB, 319 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (64.1 KB, 307 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (70.9 KB, 306 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (79.0 KB, 304 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (86.5 KB, 307 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (82.0 KB, 313 views)

Steve,did you guys water jet these and/ or machine them and save the program? I'd like to buy a set and save some fabrication time for my bird. One of my mag covers is starting to leak and I'm going to do the same thing on mine.. I can make the plates as well,but didn't know if you saved the program...thanks

Being a Lightspeed equipped Titan 340 ,the magneto pads on the accessory case aren't used....so today I started on my project by removing the mag covers....the left one was loose and leaking. Fabricated both magneto covers and fitted them....The magneto mount stud holes are there and now cleaned out....mine were threaded 5/16-18. Going to install the plates with gaskets tomorrow ...and move on to the fuel and vacuum pump pads next. I can't imagine what the engineers were thinking by using glue for these. I'm with Steve on this one....if you have a early s/n airplane like I do ( 118).... I strongly advise looking into this! Continental says they no longer glue these covers on......Looks like Steve has the magneto drive gears in his accessory case....mine does not.
    Last edited by jim plaster; 07-03-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim plaster View Post
    Steve,did you guys water jet these and/ or machine them and save the program? I'd like to buy a set and save some fabrication time for my bird. One of my mag covers is starting to leak and I'm going to do the same thing on mine.. I can make the plates as well,but didn't know if you saved the program...thanks
    Sorry for late response- Out of Country flying 757. Put in a call to my IA to see if he has template for covers he Machined. Will advise when I get in touch with him.

No worries Steve...made the set yesterday. I got behind on another airplane and plan to install mine tomorrow.