Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System

Default Re: Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System

Quote Originally Posted by John Hodges View Post
    Obviously there are now options for Carbon Cub owners.
    I agree. The problem is that these new landing gear and brake systems are being touted as a better solution for off airport operation, which is true.

The big secret is that these new gear and braking systems make the cub safer and more comfortable to use on pavement for normal operations. I predict they will be much more forgiving for low time inexperienced tail dragger pilots.

I am still trying to make a bad landing with the Beringer gear. It is hard.

The brakes and ALIR are just as important as the energy absorbing gear. The combination provides an excellent experience.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 01-25-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

We've had the same experience with the Acmes. So much easier to transition new owners. So little concern when an inexperienced tail wheel pilot badly botches the touchdown on a demo flight. They take whatever nonsense gets dished out, and settle smoothly onto the asphalt, turf, gravel bar -- whatever.

When a Carbon Cub suffers damage, generally it's a landing incident. We expect the Acmes, and based on your experience, Bob, the Beringers, to to dramatically reduce those incidents. When that happens, we'll all benefit from reduced insurance rates.

When that happens, we'll all benefit from reduced insurance rates.
    Everyone except Stan.

My initial installation of the Beringer ALG was an early version of the landing gear system. As others have commented and I experienced, the original struts would allow the aircraft to roll on the ground to one side or the other. The easiest way to understand this issue is if you pulled down on either wing tip sitting on the ground the aircraft would roll about 3 to 4 degrees and just stay there rather than centering when you released the wing tip. So at low speed on the ground the aircraft would taxi with either wing rolled 3 to 4 degrees. No issue for ground handling just unusual. As long as there was a little air going across the wings you could keep the wings level taxiing around. This behavior offered an advantage when taxiing in a strong cross wind since you could keep the up wind wing low.

Once ground speed rises while taxiing to between 5 and 10 mph the air forces on the ailerons it would allow you to roll the airplane wings level. I have not operated my aircraft on steep hills, but I understand the same issue would surface with the down hill wing riding low on a hill.

Well Beringer keeps innovating. I just upgraded to the Beringer struts with their "Anti Roll System" and it works. Now when you pull a wing tip down on the ground the aircraft will roll wings level when you release the tip. Made my first flight today with the system and all is well. Works as advertized. I don't really notice any change yet in the ride on rough ground with the new struts. I understand part of the fix is to add more oil to struts. The struts are also supposed to be charged around 80 to 100 psi lower with the Anti Roll System depending on weight. Will be trying different charge levels in the struts to see how it changes the ride.

So far I still have not bounced a landing with this new landing gear (either version) and I am really trying. It just plants on the ground or at most gives me a short hop. Absolutely changes the game for ground handling in a cub.

Last edited by turbopilot; 02-14-2018 at 09:49 PM.

We had the same experience with the Acmes. More roll on taxi around a corner or with crosswind than we were accustomed to. Acme simply modified the low freq calibration. Firmed right up. Isn't it nice to have some technology applied to Cub gear?

With these new suspensions, you can carrier land your Carbon Cub at 26mph, vectoring energy down instead of forward, sink to the surface, no need to flare, arrest descent with throttle blip. Very short landings and anybody can do it.

Transformation for Cub flying.
    Last edited by John Hodges; 03-12-2018 at 06:20 AM.

Transformation for Cub flying.
    Yes, but overwhelmed with the sounds of crickets on this forum. One of the biggest improvements in cub flying in years but nobody around to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Yes, but overwhelmed with the sounds of crickets on this forum. One of the biggest improvements in cub flying in years but nobody around to hear about it.
    Bob I think you are wrong about the crickets and not wanting to hear about these innovations. I for one appreciate any and all conversation, I only wish more would chirp in. I will stick with AOSS which came on my S2 however in looking forward towards an EX2 build I will consider all systems available at that time. Please continue, although the red might conflict with my color scheme I won't rule it out if it turns out to be the best for my application and use.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Bob I think you are wrong about the crickets and not wanting to hear about these innovations.
    Not suggesting folks don't want to hear about innovations. My comment was directed at what appears to be very little activity on the forum.

Been flying AOSS since 2010. Vastly overpriced for what they deliver. $3,300 for AOSS versus complete gear replacement with Beringer ALG for $6,990. Seems like a very easy decision.

I have no interest in Beringer, just a customer. Really like to reward companies that solve problems with excellent products.

Bob, the word is definitely out. We're selling dozens of Acmes. The Acme boys have a racing suspension background and saw the same opportunity with antiquated aircraft gear as did Beringer. They just took a slightly different approach. Folks that try them have the same reaction you did to the Beringers.

The revolution is coming!

Wink Re: Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Not suggesting folks don't want to hear about innovations. My comment was directed at what appears to be very little activity on the forum.

Been flying AOSS since 2010. Vastly overpriced for what they deliver. $3,300 for AOSS versus complete gear replacement with Beringer ALG for $6,990. Seems like a very easy decision.

I have no interest in Beringer, just a customer. Really like to reward companies that solve problems with excellent products.
    Sorry if I misread you. I too wish more would chirp in but that's just the nature of these forums. Not all can be like NY Glenn (that's a compliment) As I posted AOSS came on my Cub and as of now would be the only gear I would have had installed. A vast improvement over bungees- tested, approved and proven. I'm sure you would agree. As others systems are fully tested, tweaked and proven I'm sure there will be more participation but for now you could post on the Super Cub Forum as well. That will open it up.