Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System

I see Beringer is advertising a new landing gear system for the Carbon Cub and Super Cub. Anyone with real world experience here.

http://www.beringer-aero.com/en/prod...ng-gear-35.htm
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System

I posted the same question about a month ago, no replies. Lots of speculation on the Super Cub forum but no first hand experience.

If you have any specific questions, Claire at Beringer USA is a great resource:

claire@beringer-aero.com

I'm still considering purchasing a setup along with their light weight wheels and brakes, but it is quite expensive to be one of the early adopters. Hopefully you will have better luck with an answer, I'll be watching

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    I posted the same question about a month ago, no replies. Lots of speculation on the Super Cub forum but no first hand experience.

If you have any specific questions, Claire at Beringer USA is a great resource:

claire@beringer-aero.com

I'm still considering purchasing a setup along with their light weight wheels and brakes, but it is quite expensive to be one of the early adopters. Hopefully you will have better luck with an answer, I'll be watching

Paul
    The wheels and brakes are first class. Other than performance it sure would appear to be lighter. I will email Claire.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    The wheels and brakes are first class. Other than performance it sure would appear to be lighter. I will email Claire.
    Got a brief reply from Claire in France. First Beringer landing gear system was just installed on a Carbon Cub somewhere in South Carolina. Still waiting for images and more information. System looks very light particularly with Beringer wheels and brakes. I asked Claire for weight differences.

Has your analysis got to that number yet?
    No, not yet. We'll have to build a table with all of the possible gear options (LSA and HD, 3" and 3x3), and as mentioned previously, wheels and brakes, all with corresponding weight deltas.

Well, thought I would wake up this thread with some new information. I just installed the Beringer ALG Alaskan Landing Gear System on my 2014 Carbon Cub. Actually got the system last Summer but just got around to installing it.

This is a well designed system and the workmanship is absolutely beautiful. Everything fits and the kit is very complete. The hardest job was getting the old landing gear off. My old right gear was definitely "sprung" in the mounts. Gear has never been off so there was obviously a lot of "persuasion" to get it on during assembly in Yakima. Aft mounting bolt showed significant evidence of the "persuasion" but the good news is the Beringer gear fit perfectly in the existing mounting locations on the fuselage.

As installed the new Beringer ALG is about 6" wider than the original landing gear and the CC sits about 3" higher than it did before the conversion. Weight savings was far less than suggested by Beringer. The ALG system is only 4 lbs lighter than the original gear with the AOS system option.

I have only made a few flights so more to come about how the gear handles rough terrain. In taxi operations on pavement I immediately noticed the higher deck angle. Moving around was much smoother with the shock struts smoothing the ride. One interesting effect in taxi is that you can "roll" the wings right and left with the ailerons above 10 mph as the shock struts compress side to side. So in high winds you can taxi with the up wind wing low.

Just made a couple of landings so far. Smooth landings really take place in two phases. The Beringer ALG hangs down after takeoff as the shock struts extend. When landing you first feel the tires make contact, then the gear spreads out to its normal width, then the shock strut takes up the remaining energy. Much, much smoother than stock gear.

The Beringer ALG is much more than just changing the landing gear. The ALG kit also comes with new brakes, master cylinders and a very interesting new device they call ALIR: In-Line Balanced Anti-Lock Regulator. For some reason Beringer does not talk much about this device in their advertising for the ALG system but it is included in the kit. I have not finished the calibration testing for the ALIR yet. Right now based on their instructions I am running it a lowest setting of 20 bars until the brake pads are broken it.

So far the brake system is much more effective the Grove brakes I removed. More on this later.

The hydraulic system supporting the master cylinders, parking brake and ALIR all fit in the area where the fire extinguisher was mounted. Have to find a new home for the fire extinguisher. Here is how the braking system looks. These images are taken looking aft at the base of the seat.

More information as my testing continues.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 01-05-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Bob, I’m very happy to see you pursued this gear change and look forward to seeing and reading more about your testing.

This gear, AOSS, Acme and others are all so superior to the 75 year old or so bungee design. Similar to how electronic ignition is to mags. And as Glenn points out this system has been around for quite a while too but with modern refinements now.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I got a PIREP from a very good STOL pilot who put it on a JUST. Said it did good with absorbing the landing and was happy with that aspect of it. Said it was really draggy he lost a lot of speed,on uneven terrain it leans a lot to the low side making even more uncomfortable and does the same in a cross wind. Talking to another guy who built the Glacier cub they had the same problem with that type of suspension.
    I have a friend installing Beringer on a CC kit should be flying next couple of months and we'll see how it works.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Chuck,

Thanks for the pirep. I am seriously considering the Beringer set up for my EX2. (I ordered and have the AOSS that I will sell if I go with the Beringer)

I don't see that it would be more dragger than uncovered standard (3 x 3 for me) gear, would it?
    The "leans" on uneven terrain or a crosswind issue is a real concern however.

I'll be interested in what others experience. I will check them out at Oshkosh.

David

Apparently the product was introduced at AirVenture in 2015. I was there but never saw it. Obviously it has been a little slow to the market.