Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System

Default Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System

I see Beringer is advertising a new landing gear system for the Carbon Cub and Super Cub. Anyone with real world experience here.

http://www.beringer-aero.com/en/prod...ng-gear-35.htm
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System

I posted the same question about a month ago, no replies. Lots of speculation on the Super Cub forum but no first hand experience.

If you have any specific questions, Claire at Beringer USA is a great resource:

claire@beringer-aero.com

I'm still considering purchasing a setup along with their light weight wheels and brakes, but it is quite expensive to be one of the early adopters. Hopefully you will have better luck with an answer, I'll be watching

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    I posted the same question about a month ago, no replies. Lots of speculation on the Super Cub forum but no first hand experience.

If you have any specific questions, Claire at Beringer USA is a great resource:

claire@beringer-aero.com

I'm still considering purchasing a setup along with their light weight wheels and brakes, but it is quite expensive to be one of the early adopters. Hopefully you will have better luck with an answer, I'll be watching

Paul
    The wheels and brakes are first class. Other than performance it sure would appear to be lighter. I will email Claire.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    The wheels and brakes are first class. Other than performance it sure would appear to be lighter. I will email Claire.
    Got a brief reply from Claire in France. First Beringer landing gear system was just installed on a Carbon Cub somewhere in South Carolina. Still waiting for images and more information. System looks very light particularly with Beringer wheels and brakes. I asked Claire for weight differences.

I got a PIREP from a very good STOL pilot who put it on a JUST. Said it did good with absorbing the landing and was happy with that aspect of it. Said it was really draggy he lost a lot of speed,on uneven terrain it leans a lot to the low side making even more uncomfortable and does the same in a cross wind. Talking to another guy who built the Glacier cub they had the same problem with that type of suspension.
    I have a friend installing Beringer on a CC kit should be flying next couple of months and we'll see how it works.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Chuck,

Thanks for the pirep. I am seriously considering the Beringer set up for my EX2. (I ordered and have the AOSS that I will sell if I go with the Beringer)

I don't see that it would be more dragger than uncovered standard (3 x 3 for me) gear, would it?
    The "leans" on uneven terrain or a crosswind issue is a real concern however.

I'll be interested in what others experience. I will check them out at Oshkosh.

David

Apparently the product was introduced at AirVenture in 2015. I was there but never saw it. Obviously it has been a little slow to the market.

It's just a fancy Champ gear

Glenn

I looked at this gear at the trade show in Anchorage last weekend. It looks to be very well made with high quality parts and machining. The unknown to me is how well will it perform on the rough stuff? They had a video playing over and over of a Cub with this gear flying around and landing on a gravel bar. Though it was a real-world test it didn't impress me enough to plunk down some cash. I'd want to see it work harder than it was in the video. Much harder.

But my overall impression was favorable about the product and the company.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I heard back from Claire Beringer in France. She sent me some images of the first Carbon Cub with the Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear.

Here is a quote from her email on weight savings:

...this gear is usually 2 lbs lighter than a regular 3’’ extended cub gear.

The wheels and brakes help saving an additional 5 lbs, using the 26’’ light sport version allows to save 12 lbs.

The total potential saving is then equal to 19 lbs.
    Not sure if these numbers reflect weight net of AOSS, I have asked for the specific weight and balance information. In any event it appears completely replacing the landing gear system in a Carbon Cub will yield a significant weight savings. Surprised CubCrafters has not offered this as an option if the LSA version yields a 19 lb weight savings.

Last edited by turbopilot; 05-16-2017 at 07:57 AM.