Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System

Default Re: Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System

First takeoff with Beringer Alaska Landing Gear. Slow partial power takeoff to watch gear extension.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Bob, your going to love the long travel of that gear oleo. I've flown a Great Lakes with the same style inward hanging gear and it sucks up anything it goes over. Hard to tell you have touched down. Tiger Moth I flew had the same type but not as long of a travel but still very cushy landings that were a surprise when you were down. Looking forward for more video

Glenn

Looks nice Bob.
    Other than your labor what was the cost of purchased components?

Bob, I’m very happy to see you pursued this gear change and look forward to seeing and reading more about your testing.

This gear, AOSS, Acme and others are all so superior to the 75 year old or so bungee design. Similar to how electronic ignition is to mags. And as Glenn points out this system has been around for quite a while too but with modern refinements now.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Looks nice Bob.
    Other than your labor what was the cost of purchased components?
    Beringer website says the gear costs $6,990. I brought a promotional package last year that included the gear, brakes, master cylinders and ALIR system for $10,000.

Contrast that with the current CubCrafter price for AOSS at $3,300. If I was buying a new Carbon Cub right now I would special order the Beringer gear and ask for a credit for the stock gear, brakes and master cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Bob, I’m very happy to see you pursued this gear change and look forward to seeing and reading more about your testing.

This gear, AOSS, Acme and others are all so superior to the 75 year old or so bungee design. Similar to how electronic ignition is to mags. And as Glenn points out this system has been around for quite a while too but with modern refinements now.
    You're right time for a gear change. This new Beringer gear is so smooth. Starting to take the Cub off road now. Previously landing in the same rough dirty on the runway extensions with the old gear I would always get an "Over G" warning out of the Dynon. No such warnings in the same place with the Beringer.

Here is some video with a little more aggressive lift off and my first tests with the gear in the dirt.

Great looking setup Bob...keep us posted on the testing!

Quote Originally Posted by jim plaster View Post
    Great looking setup Bob...keep us posted on the testing!
    I am starting to "drop" it in to see how it takes big shocks. I may eat my words but I can't get it to bounce much. It just drops in, takes the shock in the struts and stays planted. Much different than the stock gear that will throw you back up in the air with a good drop.

This drop test by Beringer may explain the difference. Note in the video higher weight and height when they test the ALG.

Here is a shot of the gear from a different angle. If you have the bandwidth video is in 4k.

Obviously there are now options for Carbon Cub owners. Here's what Mike Sasser says about the new Acme suspension in his "New for the East" post. As Bob will attest, these new systems transform your experience with your airplane.

Join DateOct 2014LocationAustin, TXPosts246

Re: New for the East
    I love them so much that when Chuck says he is dropping my airplane in 5-6 FEET it doesn't bother me since I know they will suck it up with no problem. I would be extremely nervous about that comment on any other suspension system.

Originally Posted by Springloaded
    I have gen 2 on my cub they work very well. The new gen3 are incredible they have totally redesigned the inners and they did a great job they. I dropped it in in at 5-6’ and it just sucks it up. WOW!

Last edited by John Hodges; 01-25-2018 at 07:45 AM.