Thread: Anyone have their cowling off?

Default Anyone have their cowling off?

Anyone have their cowling off? I am trying to confirm the factory position and tie-down of the aft lower baffles around cylinders one and two.
    I would greatly appreciate a photo like the one attached.
    Thanks,
    Barry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Anyone have their cowling off?

I don't have a picture but my O-340 on the EX has the front and rear baffles tied together with a loosely wound piece of safety wire between the two. My baffles are carbon fiber not aluminum.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I don't have a picture but my O-340 on the EX has the front and rear baffles tied together with a loosely wound piece of safety wire between the two. My baffles are carbon fiber not aluminum.
    Hey Dan,
    Thanks for your reply. The inner part of my rear baffle was tied to the front panel in the same way.
    Another friend questioned the orientation of the outer portion and the validity of tying the that part to the push rod tube, or whether it needs to be tied-down at all. I've had some cylinder break-in issues and am hoping to get it all correct this time.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by BarryP View Post
    Hey Dan,
    Thanks for your reply. The inner part of my rear baffle was tied to the front panel in the same way.
    Another friend questioned the orientation of the outer portion and the validity of tying the that part to the push rod tube, or whether it needs to be tied-down at all. I've had some cylinder break-in issues and am hoping to get it all correct this time.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Baffles

Baffles tie to the inner cylinder baffles, not the push rod tube. Baffles need to be tight to the fins, only way air should get from top to bottom is through the fins.

If the safety wire isn't tight then it will vibrate and wear the holes out. Make sure it is snug.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Baffles

Baffles tie to the inner cylinder baffles, not the push rod tube. Baffles need to be tight to the fins, only way air should get from top to bottom is through the fins.

If the safety wire isn't tight then it will vibrate and wear the holes out. Make sure it is snug.
    Thanks Pete,
    So the inboard and outboard parts of the lower, aft baffle should tie under the cylinder (#1 for example) directly to the inner baffle (the piece between 1 and 3). I see a spot (cut-out) on the inboard inner baffle to tie to, but not on the outboard (see new photo).

Also, there is nothing on the front of the forward cylinder baffle (#3 for example) that corresponds to the wrap around baffle on the back of #1. Is that normal? Seem like you would want to treat forward cylinder the same way.
    Barry
    Attached Images Attached Images