Thread: Wing Fairleads Inspection #4

Question Wing Fairleads Inspection #4

In the Wing Inspection Sheet #4 there is reference in item 1.9 to check if the Fairleads are installed.
    There is no prior instruction in text or diagrams in the Std Wing Manual where these parts are fixed.

Assuming the parts in question are SC31065-003 (6x) and SC31065-001 (2x) labelled as "grommets" for each wing, it is not obvious exactly where they are fixed.
    Two possibilities arise
    either
    where the Drag Wires pass through rib#6 (only 2)
    or
    at the rib cutouts at the front or rear spar for later wiring routes for lights? (12x)

Can someone confirm their location from page number or diagram and purpose in each case?

Thanks

Default Re: Wing Fairleads Inspection #4

Quote Originally Posted by karaka29211 View Post
    In the Wing Inspection Sheet #4 there is reference in item 1.9 to check if the Fairleads are installed.
    There is no prior instruction in text or diagrams in the Std Wing Manual where these parts are fixed.

Assuming the parts in question are SC31065-003 (6x) and SC31065-001 (2x) labelled as "grommets" for each wing, it is not obvious exactly where they are fixed.
    Two possibilities arise
    either
    where the Drag Wires pass through rib#6 (only 2)
    or
    at the rib cutouts at the front or rear spar for later wiring routes for lights? (12x)

Can someone confirm their location from page number or diagram and purpose in each case?

Thanks
    One thing to note in building using the manual is to pretty much ignore the inspection sheet. I know that sounds nuts but I think those inspection checklists are made for the factory, which does things in a different order than the home builder manual.

So ONLY do the things that are described in the WRITTEN part of the manual. Ignore any items in the checklist OR THE DRAWINGSS that show or talk about items not specifically mentioned in the written, step by step instructions that the manuals calls for. So only do what they tell you to do, when they tell you to do it.

Those fairleads are actually installed later in the manual (can't remember exactly where) but you can put them in now or later.....might as well wait.

That makes sense, I encountered the same issue with when to install the fuel tanks, sometimes the instructions appear contradictory and when searching ahead in the manual, you find an installation better carried out much later. I was conscious particularily around the drag wire option, which is set to finality at this point. I can appreciate that the number of grommets supplied verses those used may depend on particular light, stall warning or AOA options.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    One thing to note in building using the manual is to pretty much ignore the inspection sheet. I know that sounds nuts but I think those inspection checklists are made for the factory, which does things in a different order than the home builder manual.

So ONLY do the things that are described in the WRITTEN part of the manual. Ignore any items in the checklist OR THE DRAWINGSS that show or talk about items not specifically mentioned in the written, step by step instructions that the manuals calls for. So only do what they tell you to do, when they tell you to do it.

Those fairleads are actually installed later in the manual (can't remember exactly where) but you can put them in now or later.....might as well wait.

Quote Originally Posted by karaka29211 View Post
    That makes sense, I encountered the same issue with when to install the fuel tanks, sometimes the instructions appear contradictory and when searching ahead in the manual, you find an installation better carried out much later. I was conscious particularily around the drag wire option, which is set to finality at this point. I can appreciate that the number of grommets supplied verses those used may depend on particular light, stall warning or AOA options.
    That is another thing too. Parts! Pay no attention to them actually. There will be way too many of some parts, parts you will never use and you will always be short some. Use your packing lists to find the parts and then use them whereever you can find them. If working on wings for example and missing some nuts, look in the fuse kit etc and just use them from there. If you are short, just shoot Mitch an email listing what you need and he usually gets it right out. Just move ahead to something else while waiting on parts.

I used the little magnetic parts holder bowl things for each item I was working on. I pulled the parts using the drawings and highlighted with yellow each part number that I found successfully and put in the magnetic parts bowl. Any parts not found were highlighted in orange and Mitch emailed. I would then set that magnetic parts holder aside until the missing parts arrived. (Usually just a couple/three days)

When all the parts shown on the diagram are in the bowl, go install/assemble them and you know you installed all the parts when the bowl is empty.

Remember always use the diagrams over the manual as they come directly from engineering and the manual was written by Mitch and sometimes doesn't match the drawings. So if you find contradictory info, go by he drawing.

Have fun.