Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
Once again, the CCSS weighs in...remember that in comparison to an EX or FX, I generally operate very light. On takeoffs, I use the back country aviation method. I count and move with the count: Full throttle, Elevator full forward, one-one thousand, (as soon as the throttle is forward, I move my hand to the flap handle and push the lock button), Two-onethousand, full flaps, neutral elevator and generally am in the air. The count is to remind me if the airplane is on schedule (engine running right and such). If the tail isn't up by one one thousand, something is wrong...back on the throttle and abort. Left the carb heat on for a recent takeoff...tail wasn't up...aborted. Fixed it and started over.

The flaps are never locked, per se...I just milk them off as it feels right. Sounds dramatic, but is good practice for when you need it...very entertaining for the folks at the airport, and I generally fly from the infield, so it does cut down on bouncing around on rough ground.

On a light SS, the one-two count works fine. If I was flying heavier, or in a, say, Maul, it might be a two count before lifting the tail and then another two before flaps.

Final point...I've got the 3x3 landing gear and I'm pretty sure it is nigh on to impossible to put the prop on the ground.

Jim
Great info Jim. Thanks for sharing!