Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FLAPS 2 Notches VS. 3

Default Re: FLAPS 2 Notches VS. 3

Dave
    As Mike said Apples and Oranges FX -SS. Its just a different technique with the G series flaps. I was hoping you would be here we could go fly a little. You get behind the curve and it will get pretty slow. If you are getting 50 deg you probably feel a little bump on the elevator on approach. Nice looking plane I like it👍
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

A few years ago at the Super Cub flying in New Holstein Wi during Oshkosh a 85 hp J3 beat all the big boys. All the hotrod SC, all the CC, everybody. The score is the total takeoff roll added to the total landing roll from the line. The J3 score was 89'. Oh yea, no flaps and only half the hp.

Glenn

Chuck,
    Will you be able to get with me for a little time in an FX?

Absolutely!! I know where they hide the keys😄
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Absolutely!! I know where they hide the keys😄

I thought perhaps you did! I'll be there Wed-Sunday look forward to seeing you.

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Dave
    As Mike said Apples and Oranges FX -SS. Its just a different technique with the G series flaps. I was hoping you would be here we could go fly a little. You get behind the curve and it will get pretty slow. If you are getting 50 deg you probably feel a little bump on the elevator on approach. Nice looking plane I like it👍
    Chuck
    Would have loved that Chuck! Oklahoma weather keeping this fly off slow!

I always use 3 notches unless it is a really strong cross wind. It is so nice at full flap, EX2 is what I fly. The other day I was out playing in the wind. Sock was straight out so I am not sure how strong on the ground. 20kt ish I would say, flags were rippin. I would hold my altitude to 1000 agl on final until the end of the 2500 runway then kick it over in a hard slip. It would just come right down to about the 1000 ft mark of the runway. It was just so fun to do. My passenger really got a kick out of the REALLY short landings and take offs too.....it was his first ride. His comment was "I finally get it" Referring to how great it flew for the dollar.

I always pull full flaps on every take off too, unless I am flying from the back seat. Full flaps does give a slight elevator buffet depending on loading and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    I always use 3 notches unless it is a really strong cross wind. It is so nice at full flap, EX2 is what I fly.
    That's an interesting comment on using 3-notches for take-off. I'll have to try that again. I don't have the new flap design though. What is maximum angle of deflection with 3-notches? I think it is 50º on the original EX.

When I flew the FX demo with the new flaps I couldn't tell a performance difference between the new and old styles. The big difference was the lack of pitch change with the new flaps.

I'll give the 3-notches a try for take-off the next time I fly the EX.

IMG_1023.jpg

The FX and my EX on the day I flew them both.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I do not put in flaps on take off until I feel that I am ready to rotate. I will then pull the flap handle without locking it, break ground and release. My theory is flaps = drag and I want to keep it to a minimum.
    I will make an exception if the take off area is extremely rough. In this case, to get lighter sooner, I will use two notches and stay tail low. Apparently there is more than one way to get airborne. I fly an EX.

YMMV.
    Last edited by mikemacon; 04-02-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Once again, the CCSS weighs in...remember that in comparison to an EX or FX, I generally operate very light. On takeoffs, I use the back country aviation method. I count and move with the count: Full throttle, Elevator full forward, one-one thousand, (as soon as the throttle is forward, I move my hand to the flap handle and push the lock button), Two-onethousand, full flaps, neutral elevator and generally am in the air. The count is to remind me if the airplane is on schedule (engine running right and such). If the tail isn't up by one one thousand, something is wrong...back on the throttle and abort. Left the carb heat on for a recent takeoff...tail wasn't up...aborted. Fixed it and started over.

The flaps are never locked, per se...I just milk them off as it feels right. Sounds dramatic, but is good practice for when you need it...very entertaining for the folks at the airport, and I generally fly from the infield, so it does cut down on bouncing around on rough ground.

On a light SS, the one-two count works fine. If I was flying heavier, or in a, say, Maul, it might be a two count before lifting the tail and then another two before flaps.

Final point...I've got the 3x3 landing gear and I'm pretty sure it is nigh on to impossible to put the prop on the ground.

Jim