Thread: Working CarbonCub

Default Working CarbonCub

One of the old scuffers at a local field who hasnt flown for more than 20 years was looking over my Sport Cub last week and proclaimed these planes arent built strong enough to be a working cub. Normally I listen to the old boys, and I should have let it lay instead of questioning the way he was dressed, but it got me thinking--
    Is anyone working a Carbon Cub somewhere? Guide, Fish & Wildlife? How is it standing up?

jim

Default Re: Working CarbonCub

If you're asking if there are pilots using a Sport Cub or Carbon Cub in a 135 operation, that wouldn't be legal as far as I know.

I have used my EX pretty hard over the last 6 years and it has held up just fine. I could probably look through my logbooks and see how many off airport landings I have in it but I do know it is more than 2500.

I think the EX is a little different than the Sport Cub in that there is an extra tube under the rear seat area, different tail feathers and gear. When I built mine I changed a few things to 'beef' it up. Such as going to the local hydraulics shop and having brake lines made up from stainless sheathed tubing rather than the lighter weight bare poly tube that came a with the kit. I also put mine on 31s and replaced the tail spring with a Pawnee version and have a Baby Bushwheel tail wheel.

The engine has been excellent. With about 650 hours on it now the compressions are all in the high 70s. I did change the spark plug leads the last condition inspection.

Having rebult a PA18 and built the EX I can see that the EX has a stronger fuselage. And the tail feathers are the same as a Top Cub/18.

I can see no reason why the EX will not last as well or better than a 50 year old PA18.

image.jpg

I have flown in some cold temps with no issues.

image.jpg

Landed in prairie dog towns.

image.jpg

A lot of gravel bars. This one is in Alaska.

image.jpg

This one is five minutes from my hangar.
    Last edited by Dan L; 03-12-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added images
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I was looking through some older pictures and found a few more from fun places I've been in my EX.

DSCN2339.jpg

Somewhere in BC.

DSCN2336.jpg

Also in BC

IMG_0677.jpg

In Montana on a ridge. I didn't see the barbed wire until after I'd landed.

IMG_1003.jpg

Montana gravel bar. Moose in the background.

IMG_1889.jpg

Lots of ski flying

IMG_1452.jpg

In MontanaIMG_0371.jpg.

gravel bar in Montana
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Awesome pics!
    TRUE-COURSE AVIATION INSURANCE - CA License 0G87202