Thread: Sport Cub N536CS First Sport Cub with Acme Bush Shocks

Default Sport Cub N536CS First Sport Cub with Acme Bush Shocks

We removed the AOSS shocks and added the Acme Bush Shocks to our Sport Cub 536CS on Friday, 10 March 2017. With just one flight, I noticed a remarkable change in dampening roll motion during taxi, absorbing landing negative Z axis forces, and no squeaking.SC 536CS Acme Bush Gear.jpg
    I have 50 hours on the bungees, 190 hours on the AOSS, but the difference in the Acme was apparent in one flight with two landings.

Have to thank Ben and John Hodges, the Sport Cub gear requires shorter strut lengths than the Carbon Cub (or anything with the 3 X 3 gear). They worked with Acme to make a custom set to fit the 28.25" strut size needed on the Sport Cub. They installed in 15 minutes, can be adjusted with both the upper and lower strut joints attached, and look great. We also add a clear protective tape to about all the leading edges (including the Shocks) to protect against exhaust, bugs and dirt.

Will fly more and get some added information.

We added a second Sport Cub (N5058) to the fleet in November 2016 and am planning the Acme upgrade for it as well

Scott & Kim
    Scott and Kim Huntington
    2007 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Sierra"
    2008 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Priscilla"

Default Re: Sport Cub N536CS First Sport Cub with Acme Bush Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by N536cs View Post
    We removed the AOSS shocks and added the Acme Bush Shocks to our Sport Cub 536CS on Friday, 10 March 2017. With just one flight, I noticed a remarkable change in dampening roll motion during taxi, absorbing landing negative Z axis forces, and no squeaking.SC 536CS Acme Bush Gear.jpg
    I have 50 hours on the bungees, 190 hours on the AOSS, but the difference in the Acme was apparent in one flight with two landings.

Have to thank Ben and John Hodges, the Sport Cub gear requires shorter strut lengths than the Carbon Cub (or anything with the 3 X 3 gear). They worked with Acme to make a custom set to fit the 28.25" strut size needed on the Sport Cub. They installed in 15 minutes, can be adjusted with both the upper and lower strut joints attached, and look great. We also add a clear protective tape to about all the leading edges (including the Shocks) to protect against exhaust, bugs and dirt.

Will fly more and get some added information.

We added a second Sport Cub (N5058) to the fleet in November 2016 and am planning the Acme upgrade for it as well

Scott & Kim
    Any plans to sell the AOSS units yet? Thanks, Terry

Can the Acme shocks be installed on SLSA Sport Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray 218 View Post
    Can the Acme shocks be installed on SLSA Sport Cubs?
    No, bungee or AOSS are the only two options approved for S-LSA. (refer to the AMM, if it is in the AMM it is approved)

E-LSA aircraft can have ACME installed with just a logbook entry and w&b/equipment list change.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray 218 View Post
    Thanks Pete.
    I am not sure this is accurate anymore. I believe acme had their suspension certified. Give those guys a call

Quote Originally Posted by Robbymc View Post
    I am not sure this is accurate anymore. I believe acme had their suspension certified. Give those guys a call
    FYI. I just happen to speak with Matt McSwain (owner of Acme) just now and he said….. “We have a letter of authorization to install them on those without being STC’d.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Robbymc View Post
    Thanks. Will do.

Which clear tape did you use?