Thread: Was this upper fuselage plastic panel glued in place at the factory?

Default Was this upper fuselage plastic panel glued in place at the factory?

This plastic panel on the top of the fuselage on my 2009 SportCub S2 seems to be glued in place. I started removing the screws but the panel felt like it didn't want to come loose.
    Perhaps it was glued in place, in addition to the screws holding it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Was this upper fuselage plastic panel glued in place at the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by wiltyn View Post
    This plastic panel on the top of the fuselage on my 2009 SportCub S2 seems to be glued in place. I started removing the screws but the panel felt like it didn't want to come loose.
    Perhaps it was glued in place, in addition to the screws holding it.
    yes it should have 2 sided tape on the rear and over the tubes it sits on
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Default Re: Was this upper fuselage plastic panel glued in place at the factory?

Is there a technique to safely removing the panel from the tape, or should I leave it in place?

People remove emblems that are double taped on their cars with fishing line. They pull it through to release the glued on item.
    Then, clean up the mess once it's off.

Yes, 3M double-sided tape is used where this diagram has the grey shading.

The tape can be cut with something like rib stitch cord (strong waxed string), carefully to not damage the fabric. When the part has been removed, the bulk of the tape can be removed with an eraser wheel (can be found at auto supply/paint type store for removing pin stripes) then the final residue with 3M adhesive remover. Be very careful with the eraser wheel, too much pressure or speed can heat up the paint and cause it to separate, but with care and time you can 100% remove the old tape if you want, or get it smooth and flat enough to put new tape down when you reinstall it.

The turtle deck is composite on those aircraft (aluminum now) and if you flex it too hard could be damaged, but when you cut the tape it should pretty much lift off.

email parts@cubcrafters.com, they can assist with ordering tape and anything else you need, and support@cubcrafters.com if you need more technical assistance.

Turtledeck.jpg
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc