Thread: Cherry Rivets for Wing Ribs

Default Cherry Rivets for Wing Ribs

As a newbie I wish to check the Cherry Rivet Size for the 1/8 in rivets described only on Page 58 of the wing manual as HDW-SS/SS42D Rivets.
    There is nothing labelled as such in the CCK Wing Tote 2 box.

I have checked the Cherry Max website to understand the Cherry rivet numbering system.
    http://www.cherryaerospace.com/docs/...gs/CA-1011.pdf

From deduction, I guess I have two choices from the larger inventory 1/8 in rivets supplied in the Tote box 2.
    either HDW-CR3212-4-2 (supplied 92ea) which is countersunk and to me most likely - but no countersunk application is shown and grip is marginal.
    or HDW-CR3213-4-4 (supplied 102ea) which is flush, but too long in grip in the main spar

Since I am working in a critical area, which rivet is to be used?

Default Re: Cherry Rivets for Wing Ribs

Quote Originally Posted by karaka29211 View Post
    As a newbie I wish to check the Cherry Rivet Size for the 1/8 in rivets described only on Page 58 of the wing manual as HDW-SS/SS42D Rivets.
    There is nothing labelled as such in the CCK Wing Tote 2 box.

I have checked the Cherry Max website to understand the Cherry rivet numbering system.
    http://www.cherryaerospace.com/docs/...gs/CA-1011.pdf

From deduction, I guess I have two choices from the larger inventory 1/8 in rivets supplied in the Tote box 2.
    either HDW-CR3212-4-2 (supplied 92ea) which is countersunk and to me most likely - but no countersunk application is shown and grip is marginal.
    or HDW-CR3213-4-4 (supplied 102ea) which is flush, but too long in grip in the main spar

Since I am working in a critical area, which rivet is to be used?
    Those are stainless steel rivets. They should have come in a HUGE bag (like 500 or something) and not in a tote. They are not cherry max. I think they were used on the leading edges as well. If you have extended fuel, they are in that tote.

One thing to mention is that the easiest way to find parts is to search the part number on your packing lists. They are in alphabetical order for each part (like SKIN 1 or TOTE 2, etc). So scan your packing list for your wing kit until you find the part number, then see where it is. Much easier than searching through totes, skins, etc.
    Last edited by Daveembry; 03-03-2017 at 08:13 AM.

Found them!
    Last edited by karaka29211; 03-02-2017 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Solved

Quote Originally Posted by karaka29211 View Post
    Thanks for your advice, just to be sure, I am talking about the rivets used to fix ribs between the front and rear spars.
    I never got a full packing list supplied so I shall check through what I have, but certainly have nothing in any box labelled for the Wing Kit.
    Hmmm. Ok....i thought you were saying the rivets called for were the SS ones? Which wing are you building? Extended fuel or standard? On page 58 of extended fuel they are showing rivets for the jury strut attach. Page 60 of extended says...

"INSTALL CENTER RIBS
    Install center ribs in accordance with Figure W9. Do not install Rib #2 or #13 at this time.
    It’s a good idea to use a Sharpie pen to label each rib position. This will help avoid mistakes in placing
    parts.
    Place two bolts AN3-3A and AN960-10L through holes in rear spar under rib #5 and #12 BEFORE riveting
    ribs in place using HDW-SS/SS42D Rivets."

If thats where you are, it's the big bag of stainless steel rivets, not cherry max.