Thread: Floats on my CCEX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Floats on my CCEX

I have a line on a nice set of Baumann 2100 floats (straight) and the only problem is they came off a Husky. I would appreciate any help from the forum for my next step. Should I try to sell the husky rigging? Is there some source out there for modifying this rigging and sourcing new attachment hardware to suit the Carbon Cub? Does anyone have a set of rigging available for a Supercub that you'd like to trade for the Husky rigging. Any help wi.l be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Paul

Default Re: Floats on my CCEX

Broaden your search area. www.supercub.org
    www.seaplaneforum.com

Glenn

Paul

Long ago far away in a former life....... I had a Smithcub. I also found a set of Bauman floats off a Husky and was able to use the rigging "as is". The floats were mounted at Baumanns by Joe Birkemeyer before the place was shut down. If the rigging had been very far off I'm sure Joe would have not done that. The only issue as I recall was a little higher than normal angle between the floats and the wing. It came off the water pretty quick and I could not see any issue with cruise. The downside is it will come off the water a little slower, and unlike wheels you can not just "force" a floatplane to stay on the water to get a higher liftoff speed like you can on wheels. The hydrodynamic drag coupled with pushing the front of the floats down to stay on the water just does not work out. On landing you will need to be a little slower at touchdown to keep from landing on the front of the floats.
    I would say try it as is, and after a season if you do not like the performance, then make the mods to adjust the rigging.

Just my opinion and I am not very knowledgeable or experienced.

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply on the forum. I had a major break when calling Park Rapids Aviation and finding out that Joe is working with them or associated in some way. In any event, my contact from Park Rapids called up Joe and his recollection is similar to yours.
    The main challenge at this point is getting all the parts in one place and starting to put it all together.

One other question....did you have a ventril fin on your Smith Cub with those Baumanns?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    Paul

Long ago far away in a former life....... I had a Smithcub. I also found a set of Bauman floats off a Husky and was able to use the rigging "as is". The floats were mounted at Baumanns by Joe Birkemeyer before the place was shut down. If the rigging had been very far off I'm sure Joe would have not done that. The only issue as I recall was a little higher than normal angle between the floats and the wing. It came off the water pretty quick and I could not see any issue with cruise. The downside is it will come off the water a little slower, and unlike wheels you can not just "force" a floatplane to stay on the water to get a higher liftoff speed like you can on wheels. The hydrodynamic drag coupled with pushing the front of the floats down to stay on the water just does not work out. On landing you will need to be a little slower at touchdown to keep from landing on the front of the floats.
    I would say try it as is, and after a season if you do not like the performance, then make the mods to adjust the rigging.

Just my opinion and I am not very knowledgeable or experienced.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I have a line on a nice set of Baumann 2100 floats (straight) and the only problem is they came off a Husky. I would appreciate any help from the forum for my next step. Should I try to sell the husky rigging? Is there some source out there for modifying this rigging and sourcing new attachment hardware to suit the Carbon Cub? Does anyone have a set of rigging available for a Supercub that you'd like to trade for the Husky rigging. Any help wi.l be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Paul
    What Glenn said!

Paul

I did not have, nor did I feel the need for, the ventral fin. The airplane was quite stable on the vertical axis.

Hope this helps

Bill

Paul

I did not have, nor did I feel the need for, the ventral fin. The airplane was quite stable on the vertical axis.

Hope this helps

Bill
    Bill, and anyone else with a CC on floats... anything you can offer to help out with the installation of the water rudder cables as well as the handle, would be appreciated. What type of handle did you use and where do you hang it?
    Pictures would be a big help.
    Thanks a lot,
    Paul

Paul

I hope I do not get banned or flamed but I put a lot of info on my float rebuild, and install, on my thread on the Supercub site. The float info starts here.....

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...l=1#post637213

Hope this helps

Bill

Bill's thread/blog is fantastic!! Before I ordered my EX-2, I read through his incredible journey building a Javron cub and was very inspired.

Highly recommended.

David

Paul

I hope I do not get banned or flamed but I put a lot of info on my float rebuild, and install, on my thread on the Supercub site. The float info starts here.....

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...l=1#post637213

Hope this helps

Bill
    Bill,

I can think of no reason we'd ban or flame a helpful dude like you! I've read every post on every page of your build on www.supercub.org. Loved it.

Glad you're here.
    Jon Delamarter
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    jond@cubcrafters.com
    Office (509)367-5200