Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trix nuts

Default Trix nuts

After having a couple of the trix nuts spin out, I got to thinking that why not take a little dab of something like JB Weld or even epoxy and placing under the top rim of the nut where it rest on the aluminum and then set it?. I would think that would give it a nice little grip in addition to the compression.

Default Re: Trix nuts

To be honest, I hate the trix nuts. If I build another one I will scrap them and use rivnuts. They have a raised edge but are much easier to deal with.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    To be honest, I hate the trix nuts. If I build another one I will scrap them and use rivnuts. They have a raised edge but are much easier to deal with.

Mike
    Can you use the same tool to set rivnuts as for the trix nuts?

Yes, same tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Yes, same tool.
    With help holding them, couldn't fiberlock nuts be used as well? Tom

I think they could but rivnuts are easy to use and you don't have to get behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    After having a couple of the trix nuts spin out, I got to thinking that why not take a little dab of something like JB Weld or even epoxy and placing under the top rim of the nut where it rest on the aluminum and then set it?. I would think that would give it a nice little grip in addition to the compression.
    Just as an update, the remaining trixnuts I used Superglue gel on them before setting. I just put 1 or 2 drops right onto/into the hole and just around the very top, outside edge. I also put just a drop under the "lip" of the trixnut....where it sets down on the part (I am using the trixnuts that have a lip around the top that sits down flush onto the surface).

Then after upsetting it, I just let it sit for awhile before screwing the screw in. It seemed to work very good. No way to really tell if it prevented one from spinning out or not, but none did and it seems to make sense that it helps grip. Next time I think I will just install nutplates and not worry about it.

The risk with superglue is that if it would run down the side of the cowling it would ruin you paint.

I'm honestly not sure what the advantage is with trix nuts. To me they were difficult to install compared to the rivnuts and they do the same thing. I had never heard of trix nuts before I did the CC. I had used rivnuts on several other projects with good success. On my next CC kit I will toss the trix nuts and go with the rivnuts.

I think I made the comment in a post I made years ago that the Trix nuts were one of the most frustrating parts of the kit. I agree with the toss-them-in-the-trash-as-soon-as-they're-found mentality. I too used Rivnuts after seeing how awful the Trix nuts were. And even then had a little trouble. On those, with a helper, I used real nuts under the boot cowl.

If I was to build another kit I think I'd take the time to install real nut plates.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I think I made the comment in a post I made years ago that the Trix nuts were one of the most frustrating parts of the kit. I agree with the toss-them-in-the-trash-as-soon-as-they're-found mentality. I too used Rivnuts after seeing how awful the Trix nuts were. And even then had a little trouble. On those, with a helper, I used real nuts under the boot cowl.

If I was to build another kit I think I'd take the time to install real nut plates.
    Yeah, Mitch said there are 2 types of trixnuts. The they are using now he says is much better than the original ones. They have a lip on them at the top. When I put the superglue on, I used the GEL and only 1 drop or so. It didn't run down the paint (wasn't enough and I the gel is thicker). I just used the tip of the applicator to then spread it around so it was just a small amount there. Worked fine.

BUT.....I don't see why you don't just use nutplates. You would have to install the windshield liner before installing the boot cowl I suppose. On the next one, that's what I think I'd do as well.