Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Pilot App and G3X Question

Default Garmin Pilot App and G3X Question

I was just getting the Garmin Pilot app up to date on the iphone/ipad. I have the G3X in the plane and updated the files on it using the free 1 time update that comes with the unit. My question is: Do the subscriptions you buy through fly.garmin.com for the G3X also good for the Garmin Pilot app? So you only buy 1 subscription and it's good for both the G3X and the Garmin Pilot app for ipad/iphone? Surely it is but I can't find any info on it. Thanks.

Default Re: Garmin Pilot App and G3X Question

I have separate subscriptions for IPad and G3X. If there is a way to get two for the price of one I sure would like to know

Not to my knowledge.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Not to my knowledge.
    Thanks Pete. So it seems you have to get separate subscriptions to use both iphone/ipad Garmin Pilot app but.....if you didn't get the subscription for the phone/ipad....you can still Bluetooth it to the G3X when in the plane and get data from it right? In other words, you can use the ipad in the cockpit as another display? (Sorry, I read the 800 page manual a year ago and forgot most of it already. It probably addressed this)

I'm sorry, I am not much help with that. It sounds like a cool feature, and I think I remember something about some way to do your flight plan not at the airplane and then transfer it to the Garmin system in the airplane when you go to depart but I have never done it and I'm not sure which Garmin hardware that was with.

Now you have me curious, I'll see what I can find and I'll report back if I can come up with anything relevant.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Dave,
    I long ago dropped Garmin Pilot for ForeFlite, after testing them side by side for a year.

So this might or might not be relevant, but I can indeed synch FLIGHT PLANS from my iPhone or iPad to and from the G3X via Bluetooth, and its pretty handy! It does NOT convey the names of User Waypoints that Ive created, and just sticks in the Lat Long, which works fine.

It does NOT allow me to transfer Chart and Sectional data, etc, from the G3X subscription (yearly) that I have, to the iPad and/or iPhone. I have to buy a separate ForeFlite subscription. Now I know Garmin Pilot is owned by Garmin, and ForeFlite isn't, so its possible that Garmin would allow one subscription for both..... not sure. The Garmin support folks Ive talked to on other topics are very helpful, and above all you don't have to wait hardly any time at all to speak to them!

Hope that helps a bit....

Rick
    Last edited by Rick Bosshardt; 02-01-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

This may have some relevant info, though it might be about GTN series:

http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/connext/

Also some info about Garmin Connext under Wireless connectivity here:

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/in...ion/g3x-touch/

In the main menu of Garmin pilot is "Connext" with multiple sub menus.

I just spent 13 hours in the last two days with a GTN in the cockpit and Garmin Pilot on a tablet, wish I had found this before that and I could have tested that part of it out.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    This may have some relevant info, though it might be about GTN series:

http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/connext/

Also some info about Garmin Connext under Wireless connectivity here:

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/in...ion/g3x-touch/

In the main menu of Garmin pilot is "Connext" with multiple sub menus.

I just spent 13 hours in the last two days with a GTN in the cockpit and Garmin Pilot on a tablet, wish I had found this before that and I could have tested that part of it out.
    Yes, that is what I was referring to. The Garmin Pilot app gives you a 30 day free trial. I used it and it was really good on its own but at that time, I was just using it stand alone and not with the G3X touch.

It looks like it will in fact sync all your portables with the G3X Touch with 1 subscription but I think that's a pretty pricy package cost for that service.

The app was fun even using it on commercial airline flights. The built in GPS of the iPhone did navigation and it had the synthetic vision, safe taxiways etc. Other passengers next to me got a kick watching it as if we were looking out the cockpit window.

I haven't tried the Foreflight but I know it's probably the dominant one out there but with the G3X Touch in the EX, I would jsut imagine it would be easier to keep them together. Thanks for the info guys.
    Last edited by Daveembry; 02-03-2017 at 01:14 PM.

I see the newest update of the G3X Touch includes a checklist function. Does anyone know if CC made an electronic checklist file (.ace) that can be used or do you have to create it completely? They say most of the companies have made one.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    I see the newest update of the G3X Touch includes a checklist function. Does anyone know if CC made an electronic checklist file (.ace) that can be used or do you have to create it completely? They say most of the companies have made one.

Not to my knowledge.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc