Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Snap Vent holes in windows/plexiglass

Default Cutting Snap Vent holes in windows/plexiglass

I'm thinking of adding 2 snap vents in the side windows. Anyone cut them out before? Looks like 3-1/2" diameter they cut at the factory in the skylights but not sure if a regular hole saw works or something special to keep from cracking?

Default Re: Cutting Snap Vent holes in windows/plexiglass

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    I'm thinking of adding 2 snap vents in the side windows. Anyone cut them out before? Looks like 3-1/2" diameter they cut at the factory in the skylights but not sure if a regular hole saw works or something special to keep from cracking?

I added them in a Citabria and used a regular hole saw with a center guide bit. Started it on one side went about half way through then finished it from the other side. Need to go real slow so that the plexi won't heat up and start to get sticky. Worked great. We added two of them. Have never put them on the sides though.
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com

Buy a metal hole saw (not wood, because you want the fine teeth of a metal saw) the size you need and use high speed and very light pressure. Saw thru half of one side of the plexiglass and then finish the hole from the opposite side.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    Buy a metal hole saw (not wood, because you want the fine teeth of a metal saw) the size you need and use high speed and very light pressure. Saw thru half of one side of the plexiglass and then finish the hole from the opposite side.

Agreed on the fine tooth. Mine was a fine tooth. Same theory on the speed and pressure just don't want it getting hot and starting to melt.
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCubDriver View Post
    Agreed on the fine tooth. Mine was a fine tooth. Same theory on the speed and pressure just don't want it getting hot and starting to melt.
    Got it. Will do it with the fine tooth for metal and go slow. I just thought a little extra air in the summer here would be good. Thanks for the info.

Be sure to check clearance when the window is open against the bottom of the wing

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Be sure to check clearance when the window is open against the bottom of the wing
    Oh yeah.....hadn't thought of that. Will have to be sure the depth of the closed vent will still allow the window to latch to the wing right? Thanks for the heads up.

Oh yeah.....hadn't thought of that. Will have to be sure the depth of the closed vent will still allow the window to latch to the wing right? Thanks for the heads up.
    Exactly. When when is latched open there is very little space. The vent has a bit of thickness even when closed. In addition, If you inadvertently leave the vent open when latching the window open you could further stress the fabric.

Got it. Will do it with the fine tooth for metal and go slow. I just thought a little extra air in the summer here would be good. Thanks for the info.
    I fabricate windshields for the Highlander Aircraft I would not recommend going slow speed when using a hole saw on plexiglass, at a minimum use medium high. Reason is the teeth have a tendency to catch if too slow and will cause the saw to walk around and not cut a clean hole, it'll also cause micro cracks which will eventually turn into a visible crack. As long as you have light pressure and cut from both sides you won't get any melting. Finish off the hole edges with 400-600 sand paper
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    I fabricate windshields for the Highlander Aircraft I would not recommend going slow speed when using a hole saw on plexiglass, at a minimum use medium high. Reason is the teeth have a tendency to catch if too slow and will cause the saw to walk around and not cut a clean hole, it'll also cause micro cracks which will eventually turn into a visible crack. As long as you have light pressure and cut from both sides you won't get any melting. Finish off the hole edges with 400-600 sand paper
    Thanks. That's good to know (and you should
    Know). I understand you should also clamp it down on a firm backerboard also