Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting Snap Vent holes in windows/plexiglass

Default Re: Cutting Snap Vent holes in windows/plexiglass

Dave you may be better off with 4 vents in the roof versus any on the sides. The factory offers 2 and 4 vents in the roof. As well as 2 works I would thing 4 would be worlds of airflow in the summer for you. Just a thought.
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCubDriver View Post
    Dave you may be better off with 4 vents in the roof versus any on the sides. The factory offers 2 and 4 vents in the roof. As well as 2 works I would thing 4 would be worlds of airflow in the summer for you. Just a thought.
    Yeah I haven't installed the side windows yet so I'll need to measure them first like Chuck suggested to be sure they would fit anyway. I had thought about just putting them on the left side of the skylight as well. I might just wait until it's done and see if I really need more airflow. It would be pretty easy I think to just cut them in later.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Yeah I haven't installed the side windows yet so I'll need to measure them first like Chuck suggested to be sure they would fit anyway. I had thought about just putting them on the left side of the skylight as well. I might just wait until it's done and see if I really need more airflow. It would be pretty easy I think to just cut them in later.
    If you watch the Backcountry Aviation guys in YouTube they have pop vents in the side windows of their CCSS. I bought a set to put in but waiting until warmer temps to do so. I ran some test runs drilling plexi to see how they worked. Highly recommend testing prior to drilling on your plane!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Quote Originally Posted by N867SP View Post
    If you watch the Backcountry Aviation guys in YouTube they have pop vents in the side windows of their CCSS. I bought a set to put in but waiting until warmer temps to do so. I ran some test runs drilling plexi to see how they worked. Highly recommend testing prior to drilling on your plane!

Pete, Just wondering now about the airflow. Do you think they would be helpful or do the 2 in the skylight now provide enough air (Obviously not if you are looking at adding). Also, do you think they would be more efficient in the side windows or added to the other side of the skylight?

OK....don't leave me hanging....haha. What was the results of your "practice" sessions and what did you learn? What should I be careful of? What worked best?

Thanks

Pete, Just wondering now about the airflow. Do you think they would be helpful or do the 2 in the skylight now provide enough air (Obviously not if you are looking at adding). Also, do you think they would be more efficient in the side windows or added to the other side of the skylight?

OK....don't leave me hanging....haha. What was the results of your "practice" sessions and what did you learn? What should I be careful of? What worked best?

Thanks
    Well I have two in the roof, they work but I'd have to imagine having them in the windows couldn't hurt. Like I said, haven't installed mine yet.

What I learned....

Practice to get pressure correct.

Practice to get drill speed correct.

Tape up windows with masking tape to prevent cuttings from scratching windows.

Drill half way, then drill from other side to finish

Finer tooth hole saws make cleaner holes

I got a 2'x2' piece and drilled away at it until nothing was left.

Once it warms up, I'll practice again then drill away at my windows.

Hope any of that helps

Pete

Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Quote Originally Posted by N867SP View Post
    Well I have two in the roof, they work but I'd have to imagine having them in the windows couldn't hurt. Like I said, haven't installed mine yet.

What I learned....

Practice to get pressure correct.

Practice to get drill speed correct.

Tape up windows with masking tape to prevent cuttings from scratching windows.

Drill half way, then drill from other side to finish

Finer tooth hole saws make cleaner holes

I got a 2'x2' piece and drilled away at it until nothing was left.

Once it warms up, I'll practice again then drill away at my windows.

Hope any of that helps

Pete

Thanks. Did you find that as stede52 recommended that a medium to higher speed with light pressure best? Do you know what type window material they use? I guess just regular plexiglass or lexan? Would probably make a difference in the cuts I'm guessing?

Thanks. Did you find that as stede52 recommended that a medium to higher speed with light pressure best? Do you know what type window material they use? I guess just regular plexiglass or lexan? Would probably make a difference in the cuts I'm guessing?
    This is what they use. Light, very light pressure

Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

The snap vents in the skylight was about the only thing on my CCEX that, at the very first glance, I thought was kind of dumb. There's a factory-built CC that sits out on the ramp here in Fairbanks in the summer so the first time we'd had a few-day stretch of the drizzleys I made a special trip to go see if, as expected, they were leaking. Sure enough, water dripping inside. On a later visit to look at something else I saw the owner had siliconed them shut.
    I returned my standard skylight and had them send me one with no pre-cut vent holes. My vents are going in the side windows.