Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: More cabin heat?

Default Re: More cabin heat?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    I have the opposite problem this week, trying to stay cool while fishing offshore of Venice FL in the gulf. Been kind of windy so we haven't got too far out yet
    Attachment 6107

i sent a copy of my fan setup out to the Pheasant Cub man in VT to try. I know he will jump in when he gets a chance to try it. It worked well the other day for me but it wasn't real cold. I plan to mess with it some more when I get home. 24 inches snow on Monday and another foot today coming. I might stay here in the sun for awhile. Someone bring the cub down

jim
    Beautiful! Looks like a post card.

Heat

Flying in cold air I noticed two issues, often mentioned on the forum: engine oil that did not warm up sufficiently and cabin heat that did not heat. Aluminum tape over the oil cooler did not make much difference with the former problem.

As recommended by many I taped over the two ducts on the top of the cowl. It definitely helped the oil temperature, bringing it up to 185 while cruising at 2100 RPMs. But much to my surprise it also made a dramatic improvement in the cabin heat. The heat was both warmer and seemed to have more volume (probably an illusion just because the air coming out was so much warmer).

I suspect the cowl vents directed a lot of very cold air over the heat muffs. Once that flow of cold air was stopped by covering the vents it gave the heat muffs a chance to actually generate some heat.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference in cabin heat after closing off the top cowl vents.

Next project: functional plugs to seal those vents during cold weather.

IMG_9397.JPG

Hi,

Sounds like your vernatherm isn't working or isn't installed. I think you have a 2014 or newer CC, correct?

I don't have the oil temp issues with my CC or Deb until it get's really cold, here in the NE that hardly ever happens.

--paul

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Heat

Flying in cold air I noticed two issues, often mentioned on the forum: engine oil that did not warm up sufficiently and cabin heat that did not heat. Aluminum tape over the oil cooler did not make much difference with the former problem.

As recommended by many I taped over the two ducts on the top of the cowl. It definitely helped the oil temperature, bringing it up to 185 while cruising at 2100 RPMs. But much to my surprise it also made a dramatic improvement in the cabin heat. The heat was both warmer and seemed to have more volume (probably an illusion just because the air coming out was so much warmer).

I suspect the cowl vents directed a lot of very cold air over the heat muffs. Once that flow of cold air was stopped by covering the vents it gave the heat muffs a chance to actually generate some heat.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference in cabin heat after closing off the top cowl vents.

Next project: functional plugs to seal those vents during cold weather.

IMG_9397.JPG

Wrap your muff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Titanium-5...3D252476250157

Glenn

Good idea. I was contemplating that option some time ago. As long as only the muffs are wrapped, I don't see any downside.

If anyone has tried that I would be curious to know the results. Although with the upper cowl vents closed it may not be needed.

Revisiting the fan mounted to heat outlet...any other reports on effectiveness?

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Flew early Saturday and today with temps between 3-9 degrees F, the fan my buddy Jim sent me worked nicely pulling the heat that is available. The difference was quite noticeable and with a light fleece blanket drape over my boots up to my belt I actually had to cycle it off and on. The long term solution will be an addition muff with the blower or Florida.

Thanks for update. Should work well with two muffs on carbon cub

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post

Last weekend it was 10 degrees outside. With the fan running I could measure 100 degree air coming out. I will say the single muff heater raises the incoming air 80 to 90 degrees based on a couple flights. The bigger issue is the single pipe muff doesn't produce enough heat on a really cold day. The fan moves enough air so that you don't need gloves or a jacket above 20 or so. Heated jacket, a blanket on your legs and decent gloves for zero or below.
    Let us know how the double muff works out

jim