Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: More cabin heat?

Default More cabin heat?

VT Glen and I spent some time Sunday comparing notes on cabin heat, the lack of it. It was 0 degrees in Maine yesterday morning, its a bit "sporty" in the heat dept. Anybody have a breakthru on improving heater output?

thx
    jim

Default Re: More cabin heat?

I am planning on getting a heat muff for the open exhaust. Adding an inlet on the left front ramp to the heat muff then from the muff to a Tee near the control box. I am hoping this will help. Parts are on order so it will be a bit before I know. Just concerned that the muff will not have enough clearance on the forward left stack to the cowling. There is a chance that the stock one will not even fit on the exhaust.

The other idea is to tie air from the plenum which should have more pressure and create more flow. I think the lack of air flow is the biggest issue. That scoop does not work.

Right now at -10c I can still just see my breath. The heat doesn't do much.

Planning on uncowling the engine tomorrow to cast an eye on the whole cabin heat system. It was better in afternoon when it had warmed up a bit. OAT of 0 and below the heater is pretty weak
    keep us posted if you make changes

jim

Would wrapping a layer of thin insulation around the two muffs be of any value? Perhaps header wrap? With zero degree air blasting past those muffs it seems like insulating them could be of some value. Cheap, light and easy to do.

You do not want to wrap an exhaust. It will just shorten its life span.
    The air seams plenty hot coming out, it is just that it is barley any air coming out. Better pressure at the inlet might be all it needs. I don't think there is enough room between the exhaust and the intake for the stock muff, unless I custom build a new muff on the open exhaust. I will try a new source of air for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually glad to hear that people are experiencing the same issue with the heat--plenty of heat but low flow.

It's surprising given the position of the air scoop the flow is so little. I attribute this to the number of turns the 2.5 tubing makes and the other restrictions that are in the two muff design of the 2014 and later A/Fs.

So what to do? Maybe eliminate one of the muffs and see if the flow increases. That, of course, will lower the heat rise which might be corrected by adding a heat sink / radiation set up to the pipe in the remaining muff.

The other thought I had was to add a blower to the system. There are a number of ways one could do this.

Please let me know what you think or have done.

PS - just noticed this started out as a Sport Cub thread. Sorry, I have a Carbon Cub with the same issue...

--paul
    N57EV
    Last edited by Paul S.; 01-09-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Not to oversimplify ...
    It can get pretty cold here in Michigan too.
    I learned a trick from a Supercub guy that works great.

When I get in the plane I put blue masking tape around the windows and door, etc. The 2" stuff works nice. It even helps the passenger since there's no cold air coming in. Unless it's really cold out this seems to do the job for me. I'd recommend trying it before you go to cutting things.

Quote Originally Posted by seguind View Post
    Not to oversimplify ...
    It can get pretty cold here in Michigan too.
    I learned a trick from a Supercub guy that works great.

When I get in the plane I put blue masking tape around the windows and door, etc. The 2" stuff works nice. It even helps the passenger since there's no cold air coming in. Unless it's really cold out this seems to do the job for me. I'd recommend trying it before you go to cutting things.
    I have everything seal up really good. No drafts. Experimenting is just as much fun as flying.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    You do not want to wrap an exhaust. It will just shorten its life span.
    The air seams plenty hot coming out, it is just that it is barley any air coming out. Better pressure at the inlet might be all it needs. I don't think there is enough room between the exhaust and the intake for the stock muff, unless I custom build a new muff on the open exhaust. I will try a new source of air for now.

Perhaps my comment was unclear. I agree: don't wrap the exhaust/header pipes. Wrap ONLY the outer surface of the muffs. That should have zero affect on the life of the exhaust/header pipes.

I do agree however, that not enough air coming out. But the little air that comes out on my Cub is not that warm.

This is the only past thread I could find

http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...ght=cabin+heat

Others had looked at it.

I had a Scout before this cub, that thing had a rightous cabin heater. It is close by< Im going to try to get a look at it this weekend for some ideas

jim