Thread: More cabin heat?

Default Re: More cabin heat?

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Jim how's that jacket working for you?
    You'll need a DeWalt one if you want it to match your plane

Or plug in

http://cozywinters.com/shop/wns-gen-...ated%20Clothes

Glenn
    Last edited by Cubdriver2; 02-01-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Wink Re: More cabin heat?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Attachment 6073

Millwaukee heated jacket. Works great, has 3 heat settings. Ive been wearing it everywhere. Red is a poor choice for a guy who cant stay clean. The jacket rocks, lasts 8 hrs on low.

I have made a couple of passes at more cabin heat with some real good results. I flew this morning for 1/2 hr at sunrise 5 below zero, the cabin pretty comfy. Not overblown yet, but were getting there. Will post up my changes when I get the thing where it looks good and works better. There is hope yet to fly with no gloves and hat.

jim
    If you are to shy to post the "in the works" photos or you're waiting for the Patent, you could always send them to my private (Clinton) approved email server. How long are you going to keep a friend in the cold?

Attachment 6073

Millwaukee heated jacket. Red is a poor choice for a guy who cant stay clean.

jim
    Perfect color for where I work though

Glenn

Cool Re: More cabin heat?

If you are to shy to post the "in the works" photos or you're waiting for the Patent, you could always send them to my private (Clinton) approved email server. How long are you going to keep a friend in the cold?
    i have made a couple of revisions to my experiments. It's still just a gorilla tape hack job right now. I spent a fair amount of time studying my friends Carbon Cub air intakes. The carbon fiber air intake on the CC is much more sanitary than the alum periscope on the sport cubs, not sure if it helps
    The problem is two fold, the heat muff doesn't make enough heat below about 10 degrees, and there is not enough airflow thru the muff. I had my local fabrication shop in the hangar today working on my idea. Hope to have a somewhat final version by the weekend. Will show you Sat when you come over to Alton Bay for lunch
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cubdriver2 View Post
    Ones on ebay say 30-45w so 3 to 4 amp

Glenn

Yep, company (Hot Headz) confirmed 3.5 amps for the one I'm using.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
    Here is what the heat side muffler looks like on my Debonair. There isn't much restriction in it, just a flame cone. Lots of heat. It's not really for comparison (that's an IO-520 with 3 cylinders going through it), but for what is needed to radiate heat.

My mechanic said that he brazed screws to a pipe in an RV-6 to get this kind of heat radiation. He said that worked very well. Only in experimentals, though...

--paul

Attachment 6010
    I pulled the Sport Cub heat muff off tonight to try the wrapping a spring trick and found this

muff.jpg

didnt know it had the buttons in place

jim

Who's in charge of marketing at CC? I see a missed sales opportunity here. Imagine a black heated jacket like above with CubCrafters logo on the left chest and maybe the back. Harley realized long ago that there was good money to be made selling it's customers logo branded apparel they were proud to wear. And you have already created the market by selling them an airplane with very little heat.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Cubdriver2 View Post
    Who's in charge of marketing at CC? I see a missed sales opportunity here. Imagine a black heated jacket like above with CubCrafters logo on the left chest and maybe the back. Harley realized long ago that there was good money to be made selling it's customers logo branded apparel they were proud to wear. And you have already created the market by selling them an airplane with very little heat.

Glenn
    What type of spring are you thinking of,
    maybe adding fender washers and nuts for additional surface area?
    Last edited by 40m; 02-03-2017 at 10:26 AM.

And look at Jim's (and mine) muffler and count how many times he's screwed.
    Maybe adding fender washers and nuts for additional surface area?
    If Jim put the springs in would like to hear report on how much it helped

Glenn

I pulled the Sport Cub heat muff off tonight to try the wrapping a spring trick and found this
    didnt know it had the buttons in place

jim
    That's certainly not the case on the 2014 CC EX. I would think that should help quite a bit.

As far as the springs, I would think that would help. Also a copper mesh, like the pot scrubber things, would help transfer heat. Of course, any restriction in the muff will greatly hinder air flow--a two pronged problem.

As far as basic calculations for a sanity check: If you're burning 5 gal / hr, the max BTU generated is going to be about 560,000 give or take. You probably dissipate 1/2 of that heat in the cylinders so that leaves 280,000 going out the pipes. There are four pipes, so we have about 70,000 BTU per pipe to work with. You would think we could keep the cabin warm with that, right?

--paul