Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: More cabin heat?

Default Re: More cabin heat?

When I installed the Vetterman exhaust system I was able to add another muff. That helped along with the tube referenced in the linked thread.

I think the main issue with getting more heat is the lack of a true muffler to wrap a muff around. Keeping these planes light is always a compromise.

Doing a better job of sealing the Windows helped more. I need to look at that closer again as my lower door closing rod is getting some wear and that is allowing some air to come in along the upper door window in the front door post area. It is easy to find these leaks when you're crushing at 90 and it is below zero outside.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I would think that CC would offer this as an option

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...it&_sacat=6028

Glenn
    Last edited by Cubdriver2; 01-10-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    You do not want to wrap an exhaust. It will just shorten its life span.
    The air seams plenty hot coming out, it is just that it is barley any air coming out. Better pressure at the inlet might be all it needs. I don't think there is enough room between the exhaust and the intake for the stock muff, unless I custom build a new muff on the open exhaust. I will try a new source of air for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sport Cub or Carbon Cub, look up into the outlets for the cabin heat on the floor. There is an adhesive backed foil inside the ducting on the floor that may have come unstuck and is blocking airflow.

Mirror and flashlight or smartphone camera works well to see in there.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Pete
    Can you comment on the apparent lack of heat output? Did the factory attempt to get more heat? Seems like CC has always been great about being proactive on defiencies. Surely you guys have stood around the coffee machine and said the heat output is poor what can we do?
    jim
    Last edited by Scouter; 01-11-2017 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Sport Cub or Carbon Cub, look up into the outlets for the cabin heat on the floor. There is an adhesive backed foil inside the ducting on the floor that may have come unstuck and is blocking airflow.

Mirror and flashlight or smartphone camera works well to see in there.
    Pete,
    I have on several occasions checked the heat duct on my S2 hoping there was an obstruction. No soap.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Pete,
    I have on several occasions checked the heat duct on my S2 hoping there was an obstruction. No soap.
    Maybe you need a brighter flashlight

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Cubdriver2 View Post
    Maybe you need a brighter flashlight

Glenn
    Depending on the bulb type it might offer more btu's.

I got to fly in a Beech Baron yesterday for 3 hours. It has a combustion heater in the nose. Will blow you out with heat. I am going to put one in the cub If I can find a place for it.

Baron is a serious travelling machine, at 30 gph fuel burn its not a sight see machine. I liked it.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Pete
    Can you comment on the apparent lack of heat output? Did the factory attempt to get more heat? Seems like CC has always been great about being proactive on defiencies. Surely you guys have stood around the coffee machine and said the heat output is poor what can we do?
    jim

Operationally,

Operationally, if you open the snap vents facing backwards that can help pull air up in the cabin from the floor. Doesn't work for all situations, but worth trying.

Also, leaning helps. If EGTs are only 900-1000 you won't get as much heat as if you lean properly and get higher EGTs.

For Carbon Cubs SN 93-236 there is the cabin heat retrofit option that essentially converts firewall forward to the 2012 model year and up configuration:

http://www.cubcrafters.com/technical...ations/78/view
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

I like winter flying. I was never very comfortable temp wise in my C90 Pa11. If you place a bare hand down by the floor you can feel some heat passing by but it didn't seem to do much. On my 11 I ran a single Scat hose from the heatbox to the bottom of the panel in front of the stick. I was so hot that I couldn't fly bare handed because it hurt. This is what I came up with for the 11, this is a pix of what I did in my Ex 18-0200.

Warm and toasty down to below zero. A couple years ago I was flying a C85 J3 all winter. I did the same type mod but had the Scat zip tied to the back stick

Simple cheap mod that works

Glenn
    Last edited by Cubdriver2; 01-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.