Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring gear

Default Re: Spring gea

Quote Originally Posted by John Hodges View Post
    Yes and Yes. Puts the line in a location less susceptible to damage. We order all our bare gear airplanes that way.
    OK great. Makes perfect sense. That's the way I am building mine exactly. Uncovered gear, braided lines; 1.75 calipers, etc. I'll mount them like that as I see it will keep it up out of the way. Thanks!

Now all you need are the Acme Aero Fab shocks, and you'll have the best setup available.
    Let us know if you want a set.

Like this?

image.jpg

1.75" Grove calipers, 1.50" dia. Axle, 31" tires and AOSS, one-piece stainless steel brake lines from cylinders.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Yes. Although CCI clocks the brakes slightly lower, forward, I believe.

Default Re: Spring gear

Please do allow me to tone-in here as perhaps there are some lingering misconceptions at work on Cub landing gear, especially ALUMINUM Xcub main landing gear.

We did not choose this new gear design for our new, certified Xcub just because it:
    • has 116 fewer parts
    • is easily convertible to other aircraft configurations (e.g. floats)
    • has much less aerodynamic drag (i.e. goes faster)
    • has no moving/wearing parts
    • has much less maintenance
    • makes for a robust step when needed
    • has much less brush & shrub "snag" points for real bush flying

...but it also has many other benefits for the list, inclusive of back-country rough field performance and landing ease.

"Spring Gear" is a REALLY poor name for the Xcub gear; perhaps "Smooth Gear" may be a better descriptor. The Xcub gear is single piece 7000 Series ALUMINUM, designed to efficiently shed and transfer landing energy differently into the fuselage structure. The C140/C170 type spring gears of yesteryear are STEEL springs (take more of the load on the gear itself). Those are truly "spring gears" and they are quite efficient at absorbing and then recoiling landing energy, as those who have flown them can usually tell some great "I remember when" stories.

A recent Carbon Cub EX Kit Builder customer, who also has thousands of hours flying commercially in the Alaska back country in many aircraft types, flew an Xcub and took it off-field as a skeptic of the "spring gear." Here was his Xcub PIREP:

"I am REALLY impressed with the smoothness of the controls. It is so well balanced and the aileron controls are so smooth they feel like they are on precision ball bearings. The dorsal fin is very nice at eliminating the typical in cruise zig-zag that turbulence causes. I landed off-runway on a less than smooth surface and noticed that the new aluminum spring gear gave less bounce-back than the typical Cub bungee gear I have on my Carbon Cub. The seat and interior are really comfortable. I am very impressed with this airplane."

Take a look at this short flight test video clip of a rougher back-country spot we landed an Xcub on during 35" bush wheel/tire flight testing. It provides a peek at the smooth back country performance capability of the Xcub gear.

https://vimeo.com/198414080/248cec4711

You do not have to have bungee cords or newfangled shock absorber cylinders to have high quality suspension folks!
    Last edited by Pat Horgan; 01-06-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Patrick Horgan
    President
    CubCrafters | Yakima WA

Quote Originally Posted by Cubdriver2 View Post
    Sounds like a good fit? How does it differ from a Scouts landing gear as they are both in the same mission catagory?
    Glenn
    Scout is a neat airplane and has some nice features. Most Scouts have spring steel gear though, until they changed to aluminum in 2004. It's always a bit difficult to make comparisons with all aspects considered, as with this case, since the Scout differs by: sitting higher on ground and at a different nose high attitude, has different wing and wing loading, typically has a higher empty weight, has a lower gross weight, was certified to older regulations revision level, etc., etc. And...it's not a Cub/Xcub !
    Last edited by Pat Horgan; 01-06-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    Patrick Horgan
    President
    CubCrafters | Yakima WA

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Horgan View Post
    Please do allow me to tone-in here as perhaps there are some lingering misconceptions at work on Cub landing gear, especially ALUMINUM Xcub main landing

Take a look at this short flight test video clip of a rougher back-country spot we landed an Xcub on during 35" bush wheel/tire flight testing. It provides a peek at the smooth back country performance capability of the Xcub gear.

https://vimeo.com/198414080/248cec4711

You do not have to have bungee cords or newfangled shock absorber cylinders to have high quality suspension folks!
    It looks smooth from the camera perspective. But it is hard to tell how rough the ground is too. About a 10 second stopping time so apparently no braking.

I'd like to come over and demo the X Cub, like I did the FX version. Who knows, I might be convinced
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

There is an STC to install Cessna 172 gear on a super Cub. Thought I had a copy of the STC but can't find it.
    100_2239 (Medium).JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I'd like to come over and demo the X Cub, like I did the FX version. Who knows, I might be convinced
    C'mon over Dan, just give us a few days notice so we can make sure and have a plane in service for you.
    Randy Lervold