Thread: ADS-B transponder

Default ADS-B transponder

I have a Becker ATC 4401 Mode C transponder in my EX. I like it for the most part, (when it is cold outside it will sometimes will develop a fault) The size, weight and minimal panel space are the big draw for me. I'm thinking now though about a ADS-B type transponder and am wondering if others have experience with a similar size unit that meets the new requirements?

I am installing a Garmin GTX 335 in another plane but it is a standard stack size unit and I'm interested in the 2.25" instrument hole size. But so far I'm not finding much.

I have a Garmin 796 and a GDL 39 3D for the In side of the system and move that between the two planes. Maybe the GPS in the GDL will work for the WAAS requirement in an Experimental?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: ADS-B transponder

You'll need the Garmin GPS 20A for you ADS-B WAAS (out) for the position source along with an ES transponder. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/525504#overview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I wasn't familiar with this product for experimentals. Finding an ES transponder for a 2.25" instrument hole would be next. It would be nice if one of the manufacturers would make one this size, 2.25", as an all-in-one, including the GPS position source.

Check out the Trig TT21. That may work.
    https://www.trig-avionics.com/products/tt21/
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I have a Becker ATC 4401 Mode C transponder in my EX. I like it for the most part, (when it is cold outside it will sometimes will develop a fault) The size, weight and minimal panel space are the big draw for me. I'm thinking now though about a ADS-B type transponder and am wondering if others have experience with a similar size unit that meets the new requirements?

I am installing a Garmin GTX 335 in another plane but it is a standard stack size unit and I'm interested in the 2.25" instrument hole size. But so far I'm not finding much.

I have a Garmin 796 and a GDL 39 3D for the In side of the system and move that between the two planes. Maybe the GPS in the GDL will work for the WAAS requirement in an Experimental?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

I looked into the 20A but they're telling me it only works in conjunction with a G3X.

Ill look closer at the Trig line now too.

Thanks.

I have the trig in my cub, along with there radio. Didn't hook up the adsb yet. Love the radio and xpdr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The simplest route to go if you have a Trig tt22 would be the trig tn70 gps receiver. It will meet the gps compliance requirement. We did use a GPS20 with a trig unit, and we were GPS compliant. We ended up having to install a pressure operated switch in the pitot line to tell the system when the aircraft was in fact airborne so it would switch from ground to airborne mode.

I just put a uAvionics ads-b out wing tip light/transponder on my experimental Sport Cub. The claim of 5 minutes to install is a bit overinflated as the wiring for the led strobe had to be changed due to no high voltage input that the old strobe had. I found a way to use the old wiring and bypass the high voltage at the power source. It works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesutton View Post
    ... We ended up having to install a pressure operated switch in the pitot line to tell the system when the aircraft was in fact airborne so it would switch from ground to airborne mode.
    Just a quick update for anyone coming across this thread for reference regarding a TT22 with TN70 for ADS-B compliance. Trig software, version 2.12 that came out in April 2017 or newer, no longer needs the pressure operated switch. It can determine air/ground from the GPS input. That makes the installation simpler.
    Andrew Y
    Systems Engineering and Design
    Cub Crafters, Inc.