Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELSA Carbon Cub SS Fuel tank options

Default ELSA Carbon Cub SS Fuel tank options

Since the empty weight issue is removed when the carbon cub ss is built as an elsa, will there be an option for bigger wing tanks? I know there is more space in those wings for bigger tanks.

Jeff

Default Re: ELSA Carbon Cub SS Fuel tank options

Extended range fuel tanks are an option currently being developed for the Carbon Cub EX (kit). They will not be offered on the Carbon Cub SS because they add nearly 20 lbs of dead weight and we would not make the 900 lbs empty weight we need for the initial SLSA cert.

I am aware however of a removable 14 gallon tank being developed by a 3rd party that will fit into the baggage compartment. It will plumb into the system, have it's own fuel pump, and be quickly removable. To me that would be the best of both worlds. Also, if you're heading into the back country with the standard tanks just take two or three 5 gallon jugs and refuel once there. Nothing permanent then to add weight to the plane.

Carrying around 20 pounds of fuel tanks that you'd seldom use doesn't seem like a good idea to me. We have sweated every pound, ounce, and even gram out of this plane we can, and one of the reasons the Carbon Cub flys so well is just the light weight. Please, don't pork it up and ruin all our hard work!
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post

Carrying around 20 pounds of fuel tanks that you'd seldom use doesn't seem like a good idea to me. We have sweated every pound, ounce, and even gram out of this plane we can, and one of the reasons the Carbon Cub flys so well is just the light weight.
    A big "I agree" and "amen" to that Randy. Ralph

Good points Randy. Looking at it from your perspective makes more sense

Thanks for your response.
    Last edited by NuclearMedia; 06-03-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Hi Guys, I have a CC360 ex I built along with the guys in Yakima. I just installed a 12 gallon aux fuel tank on the floor behind the rear seat. While I have extended baggage, the entire installation is up front where the floor of the cc340 is. I used a flow sensitive fuel pump that was built by J.L.Osborne for Bonanza tip tanks. I then used a plastic below decks marine tank. The pump was mounted on the tank and the fuel and vent line are quick disconnect. Installation or removal takes 2 minutes( really). The entire installation weighs 16.4 lbs but only 1.2 of that stays in when the tank is used( fuel/vent lines). I teed into the top of the left hand sight guage. It takes a bit less than 30 minutes to transfer 12 gallons. I use it for long deliveries and extended back country flying but remove it when I'm just fooling around(light is fun) At any rate it seems to be working good so far. I'll have it at Johnson Creek if anyone wants to see it. The joys of experimental/
    Also appreciate the discussion on CHT issues. I struggle with the same with my 360. I'm open for suggestions.
    Thanks, Rick

Hi, Rick;

Chip Allen here ....... nice to hear from you, and glad to see you participating in the forums. Was hoping to make Johnson Creek, but maybe next year.

Randy, can we put together a "ferry package" that would be something similar to what Rick has done, for flying these airplanes across the country?

Thanks and hope y'all have a great weekend!!

Kind Regards,

Chip

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Rick,
    Can you post pics? What are your parts, where did you get them, and what do they cost?

Extended range fuel tanks are an option currently being developed for the Carbon Cub EX (kit). They will not be offered on the Carbon Cub SS because they add nearly 20 lbs of dead weight and we would not make the 900 lbs empty weight we need for the initial SLSA cert.

I am aware however of a removable 14 gallon tank being developed by a 3rd party that will fit into the baggage compartment. It will plumb into the system, have it's own fuel pump, and be quickly removable. To me that would be the best of both worlds. Also, if you're heading into the back country with the standard tanks just take two or three 5 gallon jugs and refuel once there. Nothing permanent then to add weight to the plane.

Carrying around 20 pounds of fuel tanks that you'd seldom use doesn't seem like a good idea to me. We have sweated every pound, ounce, and even gram out of this plane we can, and one of the reasons the Carbon Cub flys so well is just the light weight. Please, don't pork it up and ruin all our hard work!
    Randy was this tank setup ever put in production?

thx

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Randy was this tank setup ever put in production?

thx

jim
    Which one? Yes, Extended Range Tanks were made a factory option and add 24 lbs to the empty weight. The tank I was referring to in this old message never made it to market. If big fuel capacity is an objective a company in Oregon did develop a carbon fiber belly pod though that can be configured for either cargo or fuel. I can't remember the capacity but if I remember correctly it's 20-30 gallons.
    Randy Lervold

Which one? Yes, Extended Range Tanks were made a factory option and add 24 lbs to the empty weight. The tank I was referring to in this old message never made it to market. If big fuel capacity is an objective a company in Oregon did develop a carbon fiber belly pod though that can be configured for either cargo or fuel. I can't remember the capacity but if I remember correctly it's 20-30 gallons.
    Like John Hodges, I too would like to see pics of Rick's install and a parts/supplier list. Thank you Mark
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region