Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon Concepts skis

Default Re: Carbon Concepts skis

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    My 1000 watt generator will comfortably power the tanis heater and Reiff system. On most winter days I use a small fire rated wool blanket to cover my torso down to and over my boots, this blows the heat right where I need it while flying. When idle I drape this blanket from the top of the panel over the seat with the tanis on the floor. The tanis has an internal thermostat keeping it from getting to hot and keeping the demand on the generator and fuel usage lower. If your preheat system requires more than 4-500 watts switching back and forth will do the job. Far easier than pulling the battery plus it is nice starting out with a warm seat.
    I checked with the local NAPA store and they can get a 60 watt battery heater for me for $35. I'm going to give that a try. And my next battery will be the SBS J16.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

You're protecting your airplane here not a boat, beware of Chinese junk.

You're protecting your airplane here not a boat, beware of Chinese junk.
    Good point but I thought the $500 price tag for a battery heater was a little too spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Good point but I thought the $500 price tag for a battery heater was a little too spendy.
    Actually $340.00, which if it were to be used just to heat a battery I would agree.
    For sixteen more months winter is still when I have the most time to fly, as I've gotten older and having worked in the cold forever the thought of playing in it seems less exciting every year. So in addition to giving me the perceived physiological pleasure of starting out in a warm environment I also more truthfully believe keeping my panel comfortably above the extended periods of below 0 F temps we get here in Vermont to be better for it. I feed power to the heater through a thermostat which allows the unit to operate when my hanger drops below 30 degrees. The unit by design regulates the cabin temp. Not quite a heated hanger but so far works both ways.

F72D8705-0C72-47CD-A6D2-7C92F266322D.jpg

2EB74D69-B587-4ECC-AD8C-151796EF3774.jpg

I was glad to see a good snow followed by cold weather right after I completed my condition inspection. The last few mornings have been well below zero in my area. -23 yesterday and -16 today. These pictures are from Ryan Field next to Glacier National Park. Yesterday about 35 miles north of Ryan’s it was -41 at Polebridge. But when I arrived it was +5 today. I had a duckbill driver and poked it in the snow until it stopped at 42”. These big board skis are great for big powder like this.

Talking Re: Carbon Concepts skis

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    F72D8705-0C72-47CD-A6D2-7C92F266322D.jpg

2EB74D69-B587-4ECC-AD8C-151796EF3774.jpg

I was glad to see a good snow followed by cold weather right after I completed my condition inspection. The last few mornings have been well below zero in my area. -23 yesterday and -16 today. These pictures are from Ryan Field next to Glacier National Park. Yesterday about 35 miles north of Ryan’s it was -41 at Polebridge. But when I arrived it was +5 today. I had a duckbill driver and poked it in the snow until it stopped at 42”. These big board skis are great for big powder like this.
    Dan,
    Enjoy, all of our Valley snow is gone with the mountains not far behind. Started out to be a great winter, super cold making great ice but without any appreciable snow.
    Took my Summits off on Tuesday and will be applying third coat of "black magic" to my Bushwheels this morning getting them ready for mud season. March will often give us a couple short lived dumps so will probably keep 8:50's on for awhile longer simplifying change over if and when we get snow, in the mean time I can't help thinking if I put my Bushwheels back on we're sure to get snow.

p.s. send some east ole buddy!

Dan,
    Enjoy, all of our Valley snow is gone with the mountains not far behind. Started out to be a great winter, super cold making great ice but without any appreciable snow.
    Took my Summits off on Tuesday and will be applying third coat of "black magic" to my Bushwheels this morning getting them ready for mud season. March will often give us a couple short lived dumps so will probably keep 8:50's on for awhile longer simplifying change over if and when we get snow, in the mean time I can't help thinking if I put my Bushwheels back on we're sure to get snow.

p.s. send some east ole buddy!
    I know a lot of the country is having a bad winter. Bad meaning mild. 😀. Not here though. We’re having a good winter with nice cold temperatures and good snow. Not quite as good as last winter but close.

483773B8-65CF-4932-A356-DA341F9D130F.jpg

The northern end of Flathead Lake. We water skied out here last summer on a hot August day with the sky filled with forest fire smoke. Some friends from Europe were with us and I’m going to send them this image. What a difference 6 months makes.