Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Concepts skis

Default Carbon Concepts skis

A few years ago at the Alaska Trade Show I talked to Randy Apling about his carbon fiber straight skis. They were a big footed straight ski and I wanted to give them a try. I ordered a set and received them in August of this year.

I Rigged them using bungees and 1/8" control cable for a 1.5 degree nose up in-flight angle.

The last few days a was able to give them a good test in temperatures a little on either side of zero and in some very nice deep powder conditions. I'm really impressed with their performance. The rigged weight is about 33 pounds each.

image.jpg

Without snowshoes on this snow would swallow me up to my knees.

image.jpg

I Spent the night in the cabin. The forecast was for -20 overnight but a stratus layer developed and it only got down to -10. It takes a lot of prep work and planning to overnight in the backcountry with a Cub in the winter. I have a PC680 battery and it didn't like the cold. I had to bring it into the cabin to warm up in the morning before it would turn the engine over.

image.jpg

Full moon iPhone image at -5.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: Carbon Concepts skis

Dan,
    You are keeping your CC happy by letting out in the snow!
    Nice.
    Thanks for sharing.
    David

Now I'm jealous

Glenn

Looks like so much fun. I am anxious to go ice fishing in the cub. We don't get much snow on this side of the rocks so I am going to hold off on skis for this winter. I always liked the battery in the cowl for pre heating. Batteries do much better warm. I hope that I don't have trouble on the lake. I use a 12v propane blower to warm the engine with an aux battery. I could use it to warm the battery if I have trouble I guess. Warm the engine then quickly warm the battery? Not sure how that will go.

Keep up the great posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    A few years ago at the Alaska Trade Show I talked to Randy Apling about his carbon fiber straight skis. They were a big footed straight ski and I wanted to give them a try. I ordered a set and received them in August of this year.

I Rigged them using bungees and 1/8" control cable for a 1.5 degree nose up in-flight angle.

The last few days a was able to give them a good test in temperatures a little on either side of zero and in some very nice deep powder conditions. I'm really impressed with their performance. The rigged weight is about 33 pounds each.

image.jpg

Without snowshoes on this snow would swallow me up to my knees.

image.jpg

I Spent the night in the cabin. The forecast was for -20 overnight but a stratus layer developed and it only got down to -10. It takes a lot of prep work and planning to overnight in the backcountry with a Cub in the winter. I have a PC680 battery and it didn't like the cold. I had to bring it into the cabin to warm up in the morning before it would turn the engine over.

image.jpg

Full moon iPhone image at -5.
    Tanis makes a great 500 watt interior heater, with your 1000w honda you could keep your battery toasty warm.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Tanis makes a great 500 watt interior heater, with your 1000w honda you could keep your battery toasty warm.
    I will check that out. I was wondering if there might be something like that available. It isn't a lot of fun fooling around with tools and nuts and bolts removing battery cables when it is below zero. And wondering in the back of your mind if warming it would wake it up enough - and knowing the days are short and a storm is forecast for the next day.

When I had my PA18 I used the certified version of this battery and had it in colder temps than this trip and never had an issue. This battery was installed January of this year too.

image.jpg

November was very mild and we had very little snow. December turned to winter and the big game animals have come down. I know 4 guys with very hard to draw moose tags that didn't get moose this year because of the weather. And the season is closed now.

My 1000 watt generator will comfortably power the tanis heater and Reiff system. On most winter days I use a small fire rated wool blanket to cover my torso down to and over my boots, this blows the heat right where I need it while flying. When idle I drape this blanket from the top of the panel over the seat with the tanis on the floor. The tanis has an internal thermostat keeping it from getting to hot and keeping the demand on the generator and fuel usage lower. If your preheat system requires more than 4-500 watts switching back and forth will do the job. Far easier than pulling the battery plus it is nice starting out with a warm seat.

Hi Dan,

we do offer a SBS J16 Odyssey Battery. It is a lightweight option for a battery in our TopCub. it is slightly smaller and slightly lighter than the PC680 and its only $35 more and it is PMA'D. http://store.cubcrafters.com/Battery...18_p_1305.html. This will fit in your Cub if you have the Pc680.

If anyone else is interested in the battery, for it to fit in your Cub it needs to be after serial #237. If you have a Cub Previous to 237 you can do service instruction #26 which will allow the larger batteries.

Hope this helps
    Parts Sales
    Cub Crafters
    (509)367-5201
    zach.davidson@cubcrafters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Davidson View Post
    Hi Dan,

we do offer a SBS J16 Odyssey Battery. It is a lightweight option for a battery in our TopCub. it is slightly smaller and slightly lighter than the PC680 and its only $35 more and it is PMA'D. http://store.cubcrafters.com/Battery...18_p_1305.html. This will fit in your Cub if you have the Pc680.

If anyone else is interested in the battery, for it to fit in your Cub it needs to be after serial #237. If you have a Cub Previous to 237 you can do service instruction #26 which will allow the larger batteries.

Hope this helps
    Yes, that's the battery I had in my PA18. But do you think it offers a cold-start advantage to the PC680? I'm liking the battery heat idea too if there's power available.

brake_booster 001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Yes, that's the battery I had in my PA18. But do you think it offers a cold-start advantage to the PC680? I'm liking the battery heat idea too if there's power available.

brake_booster 001.jpg
    They claim 70% of the batteries cranking power to still be delivered at a temp of -4 F. The PC680 has 170CCA where as the SBS J16 has 300. By the Numbers the SBS J16 is far Superior to the pc680.
    Parts Sales
    Cub Crafters
    (509)367-5201
    zach.davidson@cubcrafters.com