Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, I'm freezing! What have others done to improve the heat output?

Default Help, I'm freezing! What have others done to improve the heat output?

As the title states. Third winter on the plane and I have tried to seal the windows, wing roots, etc......

On cold days I wear a ski glove on my throttle hand else the fingertips get numb.

Any suggestions? Second set of heat muffs?
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Default Re: Help, I'm freezing! What have others done to improve the heat output?

I used a D shaped weather strip along windows. Also check where the windshield meets the boot cowl. It’s easy to fine air leaks when it’s cold. Stopping the leaks makes all the difference.

D9220B0A-1B02-4E55-A570-574E160AAC77.jpg

this picture is from a year ago. The blue tape was stopping leaks.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: Help, I'm freezing! What have others done to improve the heat output?

Thanks Dan.

Yea, I have sealed the windows, door, wing roots ...............

I was hoping someone had modified something to actually get more heat out of the heater. I mostly get warm air. I have checked the scat, muffs, etc. and all appear as they should.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    I was hoping someone had modified something to actually get more heat out of the heater.

The FX-3 heater is very effective. I don't know if it is possible to retrofit any of the component to earlier aircraft.

My gripe is there is no way to bypass the heat exchangers and get unheated outside air through the heat ducts.

Does the FX3 heat make it to the back seat? While I'm ok when dressed properly, the back seater is an ice cube.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Does the FX3 heat make it to the back seat? While I'm ok when dressed properly, the back seater is an ice cube.
    Yes the FX-3 has a separate heat duct to the rear seat and this comes off the left heat exchanger. The right heat exchanger feeds the front seat floor duct.

The left muffler has several longitudinal ribs welded on to increase the hot surface area. The right muffler does not have these ribs.

Rear seat heat duct and outlets are integrated with the left center panel.

More info here - https://cubcrafters.com/c/2017/12/ca...eating-system/

WOW! I'm jealous, maybe time to build an EX-3?

Maybe I can use the left exhaust bank to provide another heat source. I have a 100hr service interval coming up and will investigate.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

I bought the electric 12 volt car seat pads and put them on both seats. Easy to use and great comfort.

Amazon.com: Seat Cushion with Heat:Winter Heated Seat Cover with Fast Heating On The Go to Reduce Stress : Health & Household

Great idea. I may go with this until the cowl is off and I can develop enhancements (if possible).

Any headset static from the cushion? I installed a USB port and use (supposedly) shield cables and get static.

Cheers
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 02-20-2022 at 12:11 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Great idea. I may go with this until the cowl is off and I can develop enhancements (if possible).

Any headset static from the cushion? I installed a USB port and use (supposedly) shield cables and get static.

Cheers
    PM Sent