Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EarthX Battery Cautions

Default Re: EarthX Battery Cautions

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Why the constant trickle charge? Might just be waring it out.
    Good point 40M. The Norco Genius Battery Tender that I bought from Cubcrafters “says” that it is safe 24/7.
    I have more experience with the sealed AGM batteries that are used in certified planes. Using a Battery Minder 24/7 on 24v Concorde batteries, we have the same battery in a Cessna 185 for over 8 years now and it still passes a draw down test very well, as in like new. Same result with a Baron, but sold at six years.
    I’ll look into it the best I can. Thanks for your suggestion. I’m still curious why the EarthX isn’t a viable solution. I think Vans is speccing them. Hope that’s a word.
    Sandy Beebe
    N438CC
    soon to be FX3 N105SB

There are a bunch of smarter people than I on this forum, but I suspect CC apprehension is it's low voltage cut off level that is managed by the battery's BMS to protect the battery from over/under voltages (see previous posts). EarthX low voltage cut off is around 11.5V. Using an electronic ignition and EarthX battery is where the risk comes in. I joke about my EX-2 being a Tesla airplane because it is ALL about the battery.

As with any aircraft, knowledge and maintenance are key to a safe airworthy plane. I use an EarthX and have had zero issues. BUT, the plane is new, airworthy in August so not many hours. Therefore I cannot comment on the 'life' or reliability of the battery.

EarthX is becoming a very popular option for the builders of the Vans series of aircraft. But most are probably using mags or Pmags.

CC and Vans are two completely different business models and therefore liability. CC produces primarily certified aircraft where Vans is experimental.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

We installed an Earthx ETX36C on 6/2/15. Since then it has worked very well, alway cranked the cc340 robustly, but today after sitting for 2 months it would not sustain a charge. Over the years we have run it down to the cut off on occasion, one time because the alternator was not charging continuously, a bad field connector. When that happens the engine quits, we operated on the standby battery to get back to airport. Since then, we have reset the alert parameters on the Dynon EMS to give us more warning that it was not being charged. EarthX says that at 11.5V it is 95% discharged, it is only a number. It will start the engine at 11.7V, but I would not recommend flying until it is charged and there are no other abnormals. Other times we ran it down, from lack of use, and an electric clock that slowly drained it. I guess we are guilty of being a battery abuser.

We did not keep a continuous charger on it and used a standard non-pulsating charger when it was necessary. Since we are a bit suspicious of Lithium, we did not charge it unless we were nearby, but a good lithium charger should be no problem.

So today because of this thread, not blaming anyone, we decided to charge it, and it let us know it was at the end of it's life 4 and 1/2 years was all it wanted to do and more than we expected. We just ordered a new ETX680C.

Dave
    KCMA

So- after reading through this and others I still have to ask. Can the earthX go into a CC and work in harmony with the stock backup ignition battery ? I just replaced both batteries a month ago and the Lead acid main was no good. Glad I saved the old one that was still working. Now I want to take it a step further and get an earthx (680C) but still am not clear on if this is ok or not ? ? ?

Which model of plane?
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

11-160 (ss)

cc11-160 / 2011 SS

I cannot answer your question directly but will offer my opinion. I see no reason why an EarthX will not work in your plane. The only issue is that you will need the certified battery offered by EarthX. I would suggest contacting CC and your A&P/AI for help with your decision.

I think the EarthX batteries work great and have had good customer support from EarthX. I happen to run 2 batteries: a main and one as a backup. But I fly EAB.

My batteries are 2 years old, and I fly regularly so do not see a drain or low voltage issue.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Thank you for the response.
    I was wondering why a certified Battery on an experimental ?
    Also wondered if you use the stock type backup battery (not lithium) ?
    Last edited by xcflyn; 02-03-2022 at 07:06 AM.

The second part should to really say - is the back up lithium (not stock)