Thread: Over-Voltage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Over-Voltage

Just yesterday, I started getting an over-voltage (OV) indication on the "#2" side (right side) of the voltage display. It was sporadic, dancing between 14.9v to 15.0v. Wondering what's causing this and how to fix it?

A friend/AP/IA suggested an over-voltage condition can happen when a battery is starting to fail. Oddly, I just installed a NEW Odyssey PC680 battery (primary batt). I fastidiously keep the battery charged with the NOCO Genious G3500 12v safe charger after every flight.

Also, would someone explain why the two voltages? Is the left side (#1) the Primary battery, and the right side the Emergency Backup Battery? When I do the preflight Ignition check, with the key on Right "mag" (electronic Ignition) and the Emerg. Backup Battery switch "ON" the #1 or #2 voltage drops to 12.0v (ish) and the other voltage stays at 14.4 (ish). I'm assuming the 14v is showing the charging Primary BATT and the 12v is the current state of the Backup BATT?

Note: the attached picture does not show the over-voltage condition. I took the picture for another issue regarding the high/low CHT spread between the front and rear cylinders. Clearly, on colder days, the front cylinders needs better baffling.

Equipemnt:
    - Garmin G3X Touch running version 4.10 software
    - Odyssey PC680 Battery
    - NOCO Genious G3500 12v safe charger
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gderamel; 11-06-2016 at 08:58 AM.