Thread: XCub N508XC at the 2016 Flying Magazine's Aviation Expo - Palm Springs, CA.

Default XCub N508XC at the 2016 Flying Magazine's Aviation Expo - Palm Springs, CA.

Last month I tacked a few extra days onto a business trip to Portland Oregon. The meetings ended on a Wednesday, so I had arranged to rent a Sport Cub S2 from Twin Oaks Airpark on that Thursday (What a blast, more on that adventure later!). On Friday I drove to the CC factory in Yakima with my brother (he lives in Portland) to look at some of the used inventory. We also saw the XCub in person, several actually, for the first time. THANK YOU to California Cubs (Ben) for setting it up, and also to the crew at the factory for a fantastic day. Sadly, with low ceilings and a misty overcast, my iPhone XCub pictures left a bit to be desired, as in, not worth sharing.

This past weekend I took a press pass and my camera gear to the Flying Aviation Expo in Palm Springs, and met John Hodges and N508XC under the clear blue skies of this static aviation expo. I shot several pictures of the show before it opened, and a walkaround video of the XCub with my Canon 80D. She's a tad bit out of my price range, but an amazing and beautiful airplane to see up close.

Here's the short HD video of the XCub taken just before John arrived:

...and some pics of all of the planes from the day, all shot before the show opened (no people around!), XCub pics are near the middle:

Flying Aviation Expo 2016

Enjoy! (and of course, make sure to view on YouTube in full-screen 1080 HD)

Larry.

Default Re: XCub N508XC at the 2016 Flying Magazine's Aviation Expo - Palm Springs, CA.

Nicely done! I'd like to see the X Cub in person too. The next time I go to Yakima.

It looks like the extended baggage has a lower door on it too. I like that. The downside of course is all those nice goodies add weight.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: XCub N508XC at the 2016 Flying Magazine's Aviation Expo - Palm Springs, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Nicely done! ... The downside of course is all those nice goodies add weight.
    Thank you, Dan. I think the engineers took the additional weight penalty into consideration...You could fly much faster so you would be burdened less by carrying fewer snacks and drinks. Once you arrive, your new XCub will get so much attention that nobody will notice that you have been wearing the same clothes for three days...See? It's a wash.

Larry.

The Palm Springs Flying Expo was very well done, with three days of impressive aircraft, interesting and timely seminars, perfect fall desert weather . . . and great parties put on by the Scheyden folks. Hope to see more of you next year. We're looking at doing a STOL event. And yes, the XCub is fast, as noted by Pia Bergqvist, Sr. Editor Flying Mag, as she scooted 160 over the ground returning the XCub to its home at SMX on the California Coast. Pia didn't want to give it back!

Nice pics, Larry. Let's go XCub flying next time you're up the coast.