Thread: Nut Plate Cap Strip #3

Default Nut Plate Cap Strip #3

Hi,
    I centered the cap strip #3 on the well and tight glued double rib #3. I drilled the nut plate holes according to the pre drilled holes in the cap strip. Unfortunately, the nut plate touches the rib at the side and I cannot align the nut plates with the holes.
    Had anyone the same issue and a solution for this problem?
    Thanks,
    Tobi

Default Re: Nut Plate Cap Strip #3

I'm not sure I understand the situation, sounds like the nut plate holes are to close to the vertical part of the rib. If this is the case, sometimes you can squeeze and bend the nut plate slightly giving it a slight radius to better fit inside the radius of the rib flange. If I recall, these nut plates are the floating type so a slight deformation of the nut plate body will still allow the nut to float.

Dan
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Hi,
    I centered the cap strip #3 on the well and tight glued double rib #3. I drilled the nut plate holes according to the pre drilled holes in the cap strip. Unfortunately, the nut plate touches the rib at the side and I cannot align the nut plates with the holes.
    Had anyone the same issue and a solution for this problem?
    Thanks,
    Tobi
    Does this thread help? I don't really understand what you are asking, but those nutplates are not well defined in the manual. Here is a link with more details.... http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...light=capstrip

Thank you Dan, that was exactly my problem. Ok, I will bend the nut plate but it seems some sections are not highly engineered :-) Ok, I could have checked the position first and then slightly move the cap stip to the inboard side to get mor space between vertical rib section and nut plate.
    Dave, thank you for the great link. I need this information as well.

Another thing to watch for is your ED (that's edge distance people!). If one side is against the vertical flange the other side may be out on the edge. In my opinion, the issue here is enough bearing surface for the nut part of the nut plate when tightened up, not necessarily the nut plate holes.

So to your point, try to align as best as possible.

Cheers
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Another thing to watch for is your ED (that's edge distance people!). If one side is against the vertical flange the other side may be out on the edge. In my opinion, the issue here is enough bearing surface for the nut part of the nut plate when tightened up, not necessarily the nut plate holes.

So to your point, try to align as best as possible.

Cheers
    Oh yes, you are right. I checked today the details and it might be not done with bending the nutplate. The radius of the rib is the issue. I have a look at a solution with a distance plate between the nutplate and the mounting site. Because screw length is adjustable.

Just to post my final decision. I got non floatable (fix) nutplates. They are more narrow and fit.