Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runway length

Red face

Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 10-13-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Default Re: Runway length

I think folks will be hesitant to respond to this. Its a loaded question and depends much more on the pilot than the airplane. Takeoffs are weighted towards the planes performance, landings toward the pilots skill. All that being said...with absolutely clear approaches, my personal limit would be 500 feet. Airplane will certainly land and takeoff shorter, but you always want that extra cushion for contingencies.

Default Re:

Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 10-13-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    I think folks will be hesitant to respond to this. Its a loaded question and depends much more on the pilot than the airplane. Takeoffs are weighted towards the planes performance, landings toward the pilots skill. All that being said...with absolutely clear approaches, my personal limit would be 500 feet. Airplane will certainly land and takeoff shorter, but you always want that extra cushion for contingencies.
    Well said Clay, my thoughts exactly on all counts!
    Randy Lervold

Cool Re:

I used to like this forum
    By-By
    Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 10-13-2011 at 12:23 PM.

It's not a bad question, the problem is that if you have to ask then the answer is probably longer than what the people answering u need.

Try this formula, Total landings, divided by numbers of years flying ,divided by total time, add total distance required for you cumfortably landing at that location on that day, multiply times two.
    I think that will work for anybody when in doubt.
    Just being a smart a--

Smile Re: Runway length

OK The first time I posted was not successful.
    Here we go, I will try again and be more precise.
    I have a spot at my cabin in Minnesota where I can build a strip and am thinking about doing so.

As I asked before;
    What is the shortest strip YOU use in YOUR Carbon Cub on a REGULAR basis?

I don't want answers from people who have never flown a Carbon Cub and answers that say it depends on me.
    I know that it depends on the pilot.

If you feel threatened by this question in any way or feel that you may be sued if you answer, please feel free to not post an answer.

Clay said 500' what about you?
    I would like to know YOUR minimum field length please.

Thanks
    Bill

I have a spot at my cabin in Minnesota where I can build a strip and am thinking about doing so.

Is it in the mountains? what would be the typical density altitude during the times you want to use it? What about obstacles on each end of the potential strip? Will the predominate winds be on your nose? Will you be hauling passengers? fuel? weight? Are you having a bad day? or a good day? otherwords are you on or off your game that day? Do you have the 3" extended gear and tundras for hard braking?

As I asked before;

I have a sport cub and when I was in WA at basicly sea level I reguarly landed and took off on river bars in 150' or less...but I had no obstacles to deal with just straight shot up or down the river and wind on my nose. Carbon cub of course would be less.

I land short on Mesa tops here in AZ, but takeoffs are easy since I just dive of the cliff to pick up airspeed. (a rush) Density altitude is a huge factor here in AZ!

I would go with Clay on the 500' but know your airplane! Caveat that there is so many varibles in the equation...

But what do I know? as I am still a newbee, only just logged my first 1000 hrs, basically all in my sport cub, thats all I know but I have been known to wring everything out of the sport cub that she can offer...It is an amazing airplane and I still love her!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    OK The first time I posted was not successful.
    Here we go, I will try again and be more precise.

As I asked before;

I don't want answers from people who have never flown a Carbon Cub and answers that say it depends on me.
    I know that it depends on the pilot.

If you feel threatened by this question in any way or feel that you may be sued if you answer, please feel free to not post an answer.

Thanks
    Bill
    Bill,

If I were building a strip I would build it 900-1,000' long. Two reasons: one, to allow me some room to make mistakes and allow for squirley winds, and two, so that guests coming in to see me have some chance of getting in, not all planes are Carbon Cubs. I've landed on quite a few strips in this length range and I just feel like I have enough room that I'm "comfortable".

Personally, I would land a Carbon Cub on a 500' strip once or twice after thoroughly assessing the situation, but to land on a strip that short time after time just doesn't allow for the variables that can/will come up.
    Randy Lervold