Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Vernatherm valve on the Stroker 340

Default Where is the Vernatherm valve on the Stroker 340

I found it hard to get the oil warmed up on the ground and in flight operating at POH limitations I don't get the oil temperature up to the "magic" 180 dF.

Looked at the AMM and CC340 Engine Manual and I see references to the Vernatherm but no discussion of location or troubleshooting.

Sure seems like the oil is getting bypassed to oil cooler all the time in my airplane.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: Where is the Vernatherm valve on the Stroker 340

Are you operating with the cowling inlets installed in the front of the cowling openings? What kind of OATs are you seeing?

If you are not getting to 180 what kind of numbers are you seeing?

Some (I don't know if it is all or not) CC340s have an oil bypass valve vs a vernatherm. The oil bypass valve changes oil flow to the cooler based on pressure. Thick, cool oil, high pressure, thin, hot oil, lower pressure. A vernatherm changes oil flow to the cooler based on temperature directly. As far as I know (unless something has changed recently) the CC340 comes with the oil bypass valve. Its lighter and a little less complex.

Pete D.

FYI, I never see oil temps above 160 in cruse and they reach 180 only after high power, low speed climbs lasting a few minutes. This is with OAT's in the mid 80's.
    These temps are bound to be lower during cool/cold weather in the fall and winter.
    I guess I need to rig some cowl scoop plugs.
    Maybe we need to change oil weight? A multigrade might make the situation worse.
    I wonder if my engine has a bypass valve?
    How about it Becky?
    Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 06-01-2010 at 05:17 AM.

All CC340s have the pressure bypass valve in place of the vernatherm, this was done for weight reasons. Please do NOT close up the cowl cooling inlets, the cylinders need the air. Rather put some aluminum tape over part of the oil cooler front during cold ambient temps.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    All CC340s have the pressure bypass valve in place of the vernatherm, this was done for weight reasons. Please do NOT close up the cowl cooling inlets, the cylinders need the air. Rather put some aluminum tape over part of the oil cooler front during cold ambient temps.
    Ok that explains the readings. If we want to take the weight penalty will the CC340 accept a vernatherm? If so where?

Randy
    What oil temperature should we shoot for this time of year with 75/85dF ambient?
    180dF or so?
    Thanks
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Randy
    What oil temperature should we shoot for this time of year with 75/85dF ambient?
    180dF or so?
    Thanks
    Bill
    Target oil temp at all times is 180°. These are air cooled engines however that we operate from one ambient extreme to the other so you won't always hit the target. Lower temps in the winter are to be expected, and the moisture will still be vaporized with oil temps at 160° but it will take longer. Then when it's 100° on the ramp your cruise oil temps may well be at or over 200°.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    FYI, I never see oil temps above 160 in cruse and they reach 180 only after high power, low speed climbs lasting a few minutes. This is with OAT's in the mid 80's.
    These temps are bound to be lower during cool/cold weather in the fall and winter.
    I guess I need to rig some cowl scoop plugs.
    Maybe we need to change oil weight? A multigrade might make the situation worse.
    I wonder if my engine has a bypass valve?
    How about it Becky?
    Bill
    As Randy suggests, we have had great results from covering part of the oil cooler inlets with aluminum tape!
    Becky Teerink

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Teerink View Post
    As Randy suggests, we have had great results from covering part of the oil cooler inlets with aluminum tape!
    Inelegant but practical. I found that by covering about 1/3 of the oil cooler fins with aluminum tape I could get the oil temperature above 180 dF on a +2 dC ISA day. I found with really sticky aluminum tape you can reach in the oil dipstick door and to apply and remove the tape to the back of the oil cooler. This is much easier than trying to apply tape to the front of the cooler since access is not good with the plenum in place. Tape seems to hold against flow of air and if it does not it will simply blow out the bottom of the cowl. As temperatures warm up well above ISA standard temperatures this summer it will be less of an issue.

In Continental engines the goal is to get oil temperature above 180 dF since the temperature sensor is down stream of the cooler. This will assure getting internal (pre cooler) temperatures closer to the the boiling point of water, which is the goal. Don't know if the CC340 measures oil temperature after the cooler. Sure hope so.

In any event if we can install a vernatherm in CC340 I plan to do it.

Bob,
    Your Dynon pics show your oil pressures in the lower end of the range we see on these motors. You are in the low 60s and we normally see upper 70s. I heard somewhere that oil pressure can be adjusted. If that is correct, you may wish to adjust your pressures upward. Then maybe the by-pass for the oil cooler will restrict flow and reduce your warm up time.