Thread: Calibrating Irons using temperature guns

Default Calibrating Irons using temperature guns

Just thought I'd post a note in case other got confused like me. The factory uses heat guns (infrared guns) to check the temps on their irons. Much quicker, more accurate and easier than using thermometers .....BUT....you will find that the heat guns will not work correct on shiny surfaces...(like the irons!!). The way you measure the temperature correctly is to first put a piece of masking tape on the iron (it won't melt) and then shoot the beam of the gun at the center of the tape and it will read accurately. If you don't use it, it will reflect a much lower temperature than it really is WHICH IS A BIG NO NO.

Example: right now the heat gun registers this iron at 253 in the center of the tape (and the iron say it should be around 230 by their little dial gauge showing that you should not go by that). However, if you shoot the shiny surface outside the masking tape, it says it's just 135!

iron.JPG

Default Re: Calibrating Irons using temperature guns

Another method is keep a scrap piece of fabric handy and stretch it over the iron, then shoot it with your temp gun.

Default Re: Calibrating Irons using temperature guns

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Another method is keep a scrap piece of fabric handy and stretch it over the iron, then shoot it with your temp gun.
    Right. I think that is how Armando does at the factory and the fabric keep you from having to clean the glue off the iron from the masking tape. They say you should only have to calibrate once unless you change the extension cord or distance to the outlet. I just marked my big iron (Swix) on 225, 250 and 350.