Thread: Wing Tip Bow

Default Wing Tip Bow

Hi,
    I need to trim the wing tip bow. Has anyone a recommendation tor the trimming the bow? How much do I need to trim the bow? The manual shows no measurement.
    Thanks, Tobi

Default Re: Wing Tip Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Hi,
    I need to trim the wing tip bow. Has anyone a recommendation tor the trimming the bow? How much do I need to trim the bow? The manual shows no measurement.
    Thanks, Tobi
    Hi Tobi, On my wing, the bow was already trimmed pretty much right where it should be from the factory. I trimmed it just a bit though like the photos here. There are a couple photos in the manual also I think you can look at but many of the things in the manual that they say to trim you may not have to anymore since the factory has really gotten to where they do much more of it now than when the manual was written.

1234.JPGWingtip Bow aft.JPG

Thank you very much for the fast response.
    Good job, your wings look great!
    Can you send me the measurement/distance from the position light mounting surface to the rib #12? So I could check if its more ore less the same with my slightly trimmed bow. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Thank you very much for the fast response.
    Good job, your wings look great!
    Can you send me the measurement/distance from the position light mounting surface to the rib #12? So I could check if its more ore less the same with my slightly trimmed bow. Thank you.
    Looks like about 19-7/8" from the outboard side edge of the nav light to the outboard edge of rib 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Looks like about 19-7/8" from the outboard side edge of the nav light to the outboard edge of rib 12.
    You're great! Thank you very much! I have 19-5/8". Regards, Tobi

Tobi,

I have just attached my tip bows and was talking to Mitch about another issue and I asked him about the “drain hole” that is listed as a check item in the manual. Well, according to Mitch, the “drain hole” is the clear area between the rearward end of the machined rib and the bow. If you filled this with methylacrylate (like I did on my first wing), make sure you drill out a drain hole. See Daveembry’s second picture, his “drain hole” is there.

The bow is to be flush with the nose rib. So look inside the bow and mark the bow for the material to remove to make this happen.

Also, I used the great advice on Troy’s wing video and re-installed the aileron then lined up the end of the tip bow with the aileron while sanding the bow to align it with the machined rib. Then clamp, drill, cleco and get ready to glue!

David
    Last edited by David H; 10-09-2016 at 06:43 PM.