Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken fuel line at gascolator

Default Broken fuel line at gascolator

I had just landed taxied to my hangar and the engine quit. I got out for a BRbreak and saw fuel running on the ground. The fuel line had broken at the gascolator. It looked like it was caused by vibration. I was wondering if any one else might have had a similar experience thanks

Default Re: Broken fuel line at gascolator

Break in the plastic line behind the fire wall or on the carburator side front of the fire wall??

Was it a fitting that broke or the actual line?

How many hours do you have on the plane?

chuck

I really don't like how the fuel line moves so much and cantilevered out on each end, moves on start up and shut down a lot. I plan to add a support to the carb now that I know it could fail. That may help one end as the line has to move . Do you have any pics to see how the hose failed? How many hours on the plane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    I really don't like how the fuel line moves so much and cantilevered out on each end, moves on start up and shut down a lot. I plan to add a support to the carb now that I know it could fail. That may help one end as the line has to move . Do you have any pics to see how the hose failed? How many hours on the plane?

The plane has 210 hrs Hobbs. The line that broke is the copper line that enters the top of the gascolator. It broke off at the top of the compression gland. I have good pictures but have to figure out how to attach to post on forum.

Default Broken fuel line at gascolator

Ok, the primer line! That makes me feel a bit better. I found the gascolator moved to much so I added this bracket. With the gascolator moving it would fatigue the line.

This pic is during the build and not all items are complete.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Ok, the primer line! That makes me feel a bit better. I found the gascolator moved to much so I added this bracket. With the gascolator moving it would fatigue the line.

This pic is during the build and not all items are complete.

Thanks that looks like a good fix

I had the copper primer line break in exactly the same place on one of my factory-built Carbon Cub SS demo airplanes several years ago. It is very important to put a nice BIG service coil in the line (whatever you have room for on top of the gascolator; I made mine a double, about 4" in diameter) so that the loop can absorb vibration, instead of the fuel line fitting. Failure occurred at just over 100 hours, total time, if I recall correctly.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    I had the copper primer line break in exactly the same place on one of my factory-built Carbon Cub SS demo airplanes several years ago. It is very important to put a nice BIG service coil in the line (whatever you have room for on top of the gascolator; I made mine a double, about 4" in diameter) so that the loop can absorb vibration, instead of the fuel line fitting. Failure occurred at just over 100 hours, total time, if I recall correctly.
    Thanks for the reply. I fixed the line as it was and then took a video of the gascolator and line while the engine was running. There is a significant amount of vibration. The gascolator, mounting bracket, and fuel lines are in constant motion, at low RPM the gascolator mounting bracket and firewall will flex from the vibrations. At higher RPM above 1000RPM everything looks a little better.

When you made the 4" coil in the line did you add to the line on the firewall or did you replace the entire line.

The fire wall is not reinforced for the gascolator and it really should be. Even with a good loop there and where it goes to the engine, I would still stabilize the gascolator. That much movement is not good.

I replaced the entire line.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA