Thread: How do you move your fuselage and wings?

Default How do you move your fuselage and wings?

How is everyone moving their fuselage and wings during the build? I have the wing rack for the wings and the Bogert rotator but want to move everything to a friends paint booth and was wondering how others did it? I suppose and enclosed trailer (especially for the wings)? With the parts covered but not yet painted I would hate to drive it around in the open right?

Default Re: How do you move your fuselage and wings?

I always moved my peices on an open trailer but they were uncovered or completely finished. I moved the wings laying flat on pads one at a time. When I moved the fuselage I would put it on the main gear to avoid damage and it made it easy to get on and off the trailer. Only problem with that is you need an extra wide trailer because the gear is wider than you think.

If you are moving it in raw fabric, enclosed would be best.

Mike

I moved mine on the rotator in an enclosed car trailer. I painted in a spray booth so each part was moved there and then back to airport. I left fuselage on the wooden cross up front and mounted 2x4 to tail spring mount. Moved it on furniture dollies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Quote Originally Posted by N867SP View Post
    I moved mine on the rotator in an enclosed car trailer. I painted in a spray booth so each part was moved there and then back to airport. I left fuselage on the wooden cross up front and mounted 2x4 to tail spring mount. Moved it on furniture dollies.

right. That's what I will be doing as well....from garage to paint booth and back. Did you move your wings like Mike and lay them down or did you try and move them on the wing fixture upright? I think laying them down and moving 1 at a time would be the safer play but also thought about just rolling the wings up into the trailer and actually having someone ride back there with them just to save a trip.

I moved them on the rotator, but in the flat position. I don't have any pics of them in the trailer but flat on the rotator seemed to to be the most rigid.

I moved each of the three large parts separately in the enclosed trailer. It was the dead of winter and seemed like the safest way to go about it for me. I strapped the rotators to the floor anchors in the trailer and let the wing be supported but the points that it attaches to the plane, figured if it was designed to handle the load of an aircraft, should be able to travel a few miles down the road.

I moved them around the airport on an open trailer, I sprayed poly brush/spray at airport, PPG was sprayed in Temp controlled spray booth offsite.

Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Looking like a pro!! Was this your first time spraying?

I see you sprayed your brush and spray at the airport. Did you just go outside on a warm, calm day and do it? Mitch said I could just go out in the driveway and spray those but then go to the booth for the top coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Looking like a pro!! Was this your first time spraying?

I see you sprayed your brush and spray at the airport. Did you just go outside on a warm, calm day and do it? Mitch said I could just go out in the driveway and spray those but then go to the booth for the top coat.
    That was a pro spraying the top coat. His time was included in the booth so I conceded. I sprayed polybrush and polyspray in the hangar. I set up a positive pressure booth in a spare hangar and filtered the air in and out, it just got too cold too quick or I would have sprayed the PPG there as well. Just couldn't keep temps up high enough.

There are many that have sprayed in their garage in temp plastic booths and had excellent results.

Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

That was a pro spraying the top coat. His time was included in the booth so I conceded. I sprayed polybrush and polyspray in the hangar. I set up a positive pressure booth in a spare hangar and filtered the air in and out, it just got too cold too quick or I would have sprayed the PPG there as well. Just couldn't keep temps up high enough.

There are many that have sprayed in their garage in temp plastic booths and had excellent results.

Very nice. Looks like it would have worked well for the top coat. I was just 1 day away from building one in my garage and then found out a good friend of mine who builds show cars has his own full blown paint booth at his place that he offered to let me use all I wanted! Sweet.

Default How do you move your fuselage and wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Very nice. Looks like it would have worked well for the top coat. I was just 1 day away from building one in my garage and then found out a good friend of mine who builds show cars has his own full blown paint booth at his place that he offered to let me use all I wanted! Sweet.
    You cannot beat an actual booth!

Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18