Thread: Actual Take off Distance?

Default Actual Take off Distance?

How quickly can the Carbon Cub SS get off the ground with 0 wind and lets say @ Sea Level? I've got a 600 foot field here with a 50 foot obstacle (powerlines) at the end of the grass strip.

Powered Parachutes use this field with no problems at all, most fly around 32mph which is close to the stall speed on the cub so I am figuring that it would not need much more space then they do to get off the ground. Whats the typical speed to rotate in the ss?

Jeff

Default Re: Actual Take off Distance?

Yes, a skilled pilot could operate a Carbon Cub SS out of your strip complete with the obstacle. And to get in/out of that occasionally should work when the conditions are known to be good, but I would NOT recommend it for normal use however as IMHO there is not enough margin for error. What if you get an unexpected tailwind, or touch down midfield and bounce the landing and can't get stopped in time?

FWIW,
    Randy Lervold

Thanks for the fast response Randy. I mapped out the location in Google Earth and the field length is actually 750 feet in length. The power lines are another 200 feet passed that and stand 50 feet high. Makes it a little bit better.

It would be a dream to be able to fly out of that field in a carbon cub ss. I'll do it one day
    Last edited by NuclearMedia; 05-31-2010 at 10:39 AM.

I would not be afraid to operate out of a field that small.
    I land in my dads hay field all the time and its only 900' with power lines on one end and trees on the other. Its also at 6400' elevation. you would just have to be comfortably in the plane and use some common sense regarding tail winds and heavy loads.

I won the short field take off contest at morgan county last week. The run way was 3% up hill and we had a tail wind of 7 kts. It was at 5000' and 80 degrees out. I rolled 280'. next closest comp was a storch with a io540 engine he used almost 400'. Its a pretty amazing plane.

No problem. Just gotta know how to fly the airplane. Come on out to CA and we'll show you how it's done. For a preview, check out a couple videos on Californiacubs.com.