Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FX

Talking Re: FX

My FX3 #0003 flew for the first time today!

N18JG was flown by CC test pilot, not me. I can hardly wait to get my hands on it!!!
    JimG

FX3 - N18JG

Default Re: FX

Quote Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
    My FX3 #0003 flew for the first time today! N18JG was flown by CC test pilot, not me. I can hardly wait to get my hands on it!!!
    It's a good looking machine and we are genuinely excited for you to take delivery.
    Patrick Horgan
    President
    CubCrafters | Yakima WA

Congrats Jim! I understand you'll be doing the Phase 1 flyoff?
    Randy Lervold

I'm sooooo excited - I'm even annoying myself!

I'll probably do the second half. Haven't figgured out how to do the testing over here in Seattle area, I'm looking at the logistics for me to spend all the test time in Yakima.

Hmmm.
    JimG

FX3 - N18JG

Your gonna LOVE IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
    I'm sooooo excited - I'm even annoying myself!

I'll probably do the second half. Haven't figgured out how to do the testing over here in Seattle area, I'm looking at the logistics for me to spend all the test time in Yakima.

Hmmm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com

Default Re: FX3 tire size speed trade off

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCubDriver View Post
    Your gonna LOVE IT!!!
    I have got to select tire size soon and need help if figuring out if I want 18, 26, 29, or 31s. I am buying the fx3 primarily for the range and speed over my carbon cub; of course we all like big tires, but what does each step cost in cruise speed? Does anybody have good numbers? What is everybody else putting on them? I have a May build and August delivery scheduled.

I picked Goodyear 8.50s to start with, they are about 22" diameter. Should not have much impact on speed.

The FX3 with the constant speed prop is 30 MPH (or more) faster than everything except the X-Cub. Look at the Blog entries about Brad's trip in the FX3.
    JimG

FX3 - N18JG

Quote Originally Posted by WetCub View Post
    I have got to select tire size soon and need help if figuring out if I want 18, 26, 29, or 31s. I am buying the fx3 primarily for the range and speed over my carbon cub; of course we all like big tires, but what does each step cost in cruise speed? Does anybody have good numbers? What is everybody else putting on them? I have a May build and August delivery scheduled.
    Yes, sir we can help with this. Best combo for FX-3 range and speed will be the 80" prop and 26" tires, or better yet the 8.50x6 tires. For ground clearance, 29" tires (or 31") are required to swing the longer 83" propeller. The longer propeller provides a tad more static thrust, but tire drag is typically a larger impact on cruise speed. Many folks have their own thoughts and figures on the affect tire size has on speed, and there are more variables than just the tires themselves (such as covered or uncovered gear legs). As a rough rule of thumb estimate, if all other things are equal, we typically see:

• from 31" to 29" gains 4 mph
    • from 29" to 26" gains 3 mph
    • from 26" to 22"(8.50x6) gains 3 mph

Based on the mission you mention, the 80" propeller with 26" tires seems to be the choice that others have gone with. Those that optimize climb and ultra STOL, tend to choose the 83" with 29" or 31" tires.
    Patrick Horgan
    President
    CubCrafters | Yakima WA

31's, 83" Prop, Uncovered Gear. Two Days Ago On The Way Home To Texas in FX-3 #2 Note the TAS and the VSI.

IMG_6036 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Horgan View Post
    Yes, sir we can help with this. Best combo for FX-3 range and speed will be the 80" prop and 26" tires, or better yet the 8.50x6 tires. For ground clearance, 29" tires (or 31") are required to swing the longer 83" propeller. The longer propeller provides a tad more static thrust, but tire drag is typically a larger impact on cruise speed. Many folks have their own thoughts and figures on the affect tire size has on speed, and there are more variables than just the tires themselves (such as covered or uncovered gear legs). As a rough rule of thumb estimate, if all other things are equal, we typically see:

• from 31" to 29" gains 4 mph
    • from 29" to 26" gains 3 mph
    • from 26" to 22"(8.50x6) gains 3 mph

Based on the mission you mention, the 80" propeller with 26" tires seems to be the choice that others have gone with. Those that optimize climb and ultra STOL, tend to choose the 83" with 29" or 31" tires.
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCubDriver View Post
    31's, 83" Prop, Uncovered Gear. Two Days Ago On The Way Home To Texas in FX-3 #2 Note the TAS and the VSI.

IMG_6036 2.jpg
    Lou
    26s or (29s) and you won't be limited when you want to go play.
    I think the badass red adds a tad too the speed as well😂
    'Just my opinion
    chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News