Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TruTrack autopilot

Default TruTrack autopilot

Do any of you have a TruTrack autopilot installed in your Carbon Cub?
    I have a TruTrack Digiflight IIVS installed and am interested in sharing experiences.
    Bill

Default Re: TruTrack autopilot

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Do any of you have a TruTrack autopilot installed in your Carbon Cub?
    I have a TruTrack Digiflight IIVS installed and am interested in sharing experiences.
    Bill
    I have been thinking about it. How does it work?
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Turbo
    So far, not very well but TruTrack is working on it.
    I hope to hear more tomorrow.
    I was hoping someone here had worked through the settings and could help me fix mine.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Turbo
    So far, not very well but TruTrack is working on it.
    I hope to hear more tomorrow.
    I was hoping someone here had worked through the settings and could help me fix mine.
    Bill
    I have heard good things about the autopilot from friends of mine using it in Experimental aircraft such as the RV series. What are the specific issues you are working through with the installation?

I understand the first installation in a Carbon Cub was done at TruTrac in Arkansas. Yours may be the first factory installation at Yakima.

After talking to my homebuilding friends I was thinking about try the installation myself.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    I understand the first installation in a Carbon Cub was done at TruTrac in Arkansas. Yours may be the first factory installation at Yakima.
    Bob, youre understanding is correct, TruTrak did the installation engineering on a customer's Sport Cub S2 at their facility in Arkansas. Jim Younkin himself test flew it and declared that it met their standards. Bill's plane was the first installation done in Yakima using the hardware developed by TruTrak. I flew that plane myself before it left and it worked great so I was surprised to hear it had wallowing issues. Irregardless TruTrak is on it with some setting changes and I'm anxious to hear back from Bill once that is complete. If you're considering one it will be important to make sure the box has the software and settings for the Carbon Cub already set up. You can buy it from TruTrak or buy it from us, just make sure the box is configured correctly first.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    If you're considering one it will be important to make sure the box has the software and settings for the Carbon Cub already set up. You can buy it from TruTrak or buy it from us, just make sure the box is configured correctly first.
    Thanks for the heads up. Been talking to Becky so I planned to get the kit through CubCrafters. Was hoping to see a PIREP from someone about how it works.

I did the physical installation of the second autopilot here in Yakima and had several conversations with TruTrack while doing it, as well as rode in the back seat with Randy when he was checking it out. It appeared to work fine then, so I too was surprised to learn that it wasn't functioning as advertised. I am just finishing the third one to go into a Carbon Cub now, and will be on the phone again tomorrow with TruTrack to try and make sure we get this one set up properly according to the latest settings from them.

I have to say as far as the physical installation goes, they've got it figured out pretty neat, not to terribly complicated installing the kit.

Pete D.

Lucas (customer service tech) at TruTrack is sending me a new controller with the "correct" settings for the Carbon Cub.
    I will switch it out when it arrives and report on a test flight.
    Pete D at CubCrafters talked me through the installation and removal process.
    I hope this solves the problem.
    BTW - Trutrack and CubCrafters have been very helpful on this issue.
    Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 06-02-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Talking Re: TruTrack autopilot

I have used TruTrak autopilots for years about 15 of them and NEVER have had a cross word to say about TruTrak. I like the installations and technology. as for NavAid I am glad they are out of business, Trio is a NavAid in a different box and Dynon has yet to perform.

I like TruTrak!

Noel Simmons

The new controller arrived today and will be installed tomorrow.
    If the weather cooperates I will do a flight test.
    Unfortunately the weather guessers are calling for rain and T-storms. We will see.
    Bill