Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TruTrack autopilot

Default Re: TruTrack autopilot

OK - I flew the Carbon Cub to a pancake breakfast this morning and had a chance to play with the autopilot GPS combination after installing the latest GPS software updates.
    It worked exactly as it should - followed a flight plan without a hitch.
    I think I did everything the same way as before.
    Maybe not.
    I guess the mystery is solved -- but can I remember what to do next time
    I think the autopilot and GPS are playing with me.
    Bill

Bill,

Glad to hear its all working properly!

Pete D.

Bill, glad it hear it is all now worked out, enjoy!
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: TruTrack autopilot - closing the loop

Andrew Barker, General Manager at TruTrak, was in town yesterday just as we were about to test fly autopilot install #3 so I took him along and also learned what the problem has been all along. Just to close the loop on the issue I thought readers might find it interesting.

The story begins when we sent a customer's Sport Cub S2 back to TruTrak last fall to have the installation engineered. That includes the servo mounts and whatever software settings are necessary for proper AP performance with this airframe. TruTrak did the work and reported that it flew perfectly. In fact Jim Younkin, legendary autopilot guru and company owner, called me after they finished to tell me how much he liked the plane, and of course that the AP worked perfectly. Turns out TruTrak has made all the necessary parameter adjustments in the hardware. Once they had the settings they intended to shift all this to software. Problem is the software was not saving the settings and it took two tries to get that problem fixed. Kudos to our Texas dealer, Scot Warren, for discovering this and assisting in the process.

Andrew and I tested the AP in both turbulent air down low, then climbed up and found some smooth air. We flew it down to 70 mph IAS and he made two more small software adjustments in flight. Once we landed he recorded the changes and we now have a standardized set of parameters and software that remembers them once they are recorded. My understanding is that the head unit is loaded with them when ordered from TruTrak, but they can be set in the field also if needed.

So, I think we can consider this issue resolved, and thanks to everyone involved for their assistance in working it out: Bill Rice, John Duncan, Scot Warren, and the TruTrak and CubCrafter's crews. Mr. Rice and Mr. Duncan, perhaps you can comment how they are working for you as aircraft owners.
    Randy Lervold

As an early adopter of the TruTrack autopilot in the Carbon Cub (# 1), I had my share of problems.
    However, as an engineer, I expected that.
    TruTrack and Cubcrafters have helped me solve the problems and my autopilot is now as good as the one in my CitationJet.
    It's a blast to operate a Cub with such a good autopilot.
    I find it most useful when I am trying to look at a map or at the moving map on the GPS.
    All CarbonCubs should have a TruTrack Autopilot.
    Bill

Randy, if you tested install #3 a couple of days ago, then I must have #2, since I picked up CC#133 several weeks ago. Can you suggest how I might best update the autopilot in mine for best performance?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by jmpstl View Post
    Randy, if you tested install #3 a couple of days ago, then I must have #2, since I picked up CC#133 several weeks ago. Can you suggest how I might best update the autopilot in mine for best performance?

Michael
    Michael,

Yes indeed, you have "customer install #2". Please give either Ethen Hughes at CC or Lucas at TruTrak a call and tell them what software rev you have. If you are having issues it is not likely the latest. They will swap the head unit out if needed, it's an easy swap. Note the software version while powering up the unit.
    Randy Lervold

The current software rev as of last week is ver 2.40 if you have version 2.90 or earlier it might not work as well as it could.

The only way to update the software right now is to exchange the control head-they don't have a way to update the software in the field yet.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    The current software rev as of last week is ver 2.40 if you have version 2.90 or earlier it might not work as well as it could.

The only way to update the software right now is to exchange the control head-they don't have a way to update the software in the field yet.

Pete D.
    Pete
    Are you counting backwards??
    Is that correct??
    Bill

Oops! Sorry, my fingers didn't get the right keys there

The old version is 2.39, the newest version (to my knowledge) is version 2.40.

If you have version 2.40 or later (such as 2.41, 2.42, etc) you are good.

It is the ones with version 2.39 or earlier (2.38, 2.37, etc) that need to be updated.

Hope that clears it up.

Pete D.