Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backcountry toolkit suggestions

Default Backcountry toolkit suggestions

I'm interested in knowing what tools and other items CC pilots are carrying with them? We are flying sparsely populated areas in northern Nevada Idaho and Oregon. New to the forum and have enjoyed reading all the tips and trips and other CC stuff. Thanks! - Kyle

Default Re: Backcountry toolkit suggestions

Hi Kyle,
    I live in Arizona and frequently fly remote areas here as well as in Utah. I have several things that I bring as a matter of course for all those flights! And.... I try to keep it all light.

Tool kit: I start with a roll of duct tape... you never know when you might need that! In addition, I have a small portable metric and standard socket set, a screwdriver with a bunch of different tips, and an adjustable wrench. I got these small portable sets at Lowe's. I also have an assortment of paper funnels, two sided tape, a tube of black rubber adhesive, wire cutters, and a swiss army knife. (Im swiss after all!) A pair of work gloves, dust mask.....I think that kind of covers it. Might be a few other things, but its pretty light and Im happy to report Ive only ever needed to use the screwdriver to get the cowl off in the backcountry, when the starter stopped working. (wasn't able to fix it remotely).

Medical Kit: I bought a pre set up medical kit, that only weighs a few pounds. I added to that some bicycler 'gel packs' for emergency calories, and a couple of glow sticks.

Oil and paper funnels: Always have two quarts, paper funnels and paper towels with me

Emergency Vest: I also actually wear an emergency vest when Im over real remote areas. I started with a Bass Pro shop fly fishing vest, and added several essentials. Small medical kit, signaling mirror and whistle, space blanket, sun screen and lip balm, several forms of fire starters from waterproof matches to a fire stick kit and magnifying glass. Also a couple of headlamps and swiss army knife, along with a small leatherman tool, and a portable (wire) saw. I also added an ACR EPRB, as well as a portable VHF radio, and extra batteries. Probably a few other things, but thats the essentials. I does weigh a bit, and it does make me hot in the AZ summer.... but I figure if I ever have to bail out quickly it will be nice to have that stuff on my person. Funny enough I did NOT add any FISHING stuff.... that might be a good idea if you are flying over places that actually have water and fish...! None here.

I also have a 150' climbing rope that I take. Got it cheap at Home Depot... not sure how strong it is, but its light and it could be used for many things. It would also make it possible to hand prop the plane if you are alone and don't want it to go taxiing off on you! Hand propping is not recommended of course, but if you are in the middle of no where and have no other options.....

Finally, I always take a set of Fly Ties in case I need to tie down.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Rick Bosshardt; 08-17-2016 at 07:23 AM.

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Here on the East Coast it's a little different:

a. Cell Phone & charger
    b. American Express card.

That about does it...

--paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
    Here on the East Coast it's a little different:

a. Cell Phone & charger
    b. American Express card.

That about does it...

--paul
    Ha Ha, must be nice! Sadly there ain't any Verizon in most of the back country out here, so I'm pretty much with Rick.

You might want add an ACR PLB to go along with the phone. They are so small and so good, and cheap these days. I just upgraded to a new one on Amazon for $245.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Congrats on XCub #007, Chuck! Cant wait to see it.

We will have to schedule Rumble in the Desert III out there soon.... perhaps best to wait till Agua Dolce isn't being used as a fire suppression staging area. Hope you guys are doing OK out there!

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Congrats on XCub #007, Chuck! Cant wait to see it.

We will have to schedule Rumble in the Desert III out there soon.... perhaps best to wait till Agua Dolce isn't being used as a fire suppression staging area. Hope you guys are doing OK out there!

Rick
    Yeh, our quiet little Agua Dulce airport gets pretty busy during the fire season with all the firefighting helicopters.

Hopefully we can schedule Rumble III this next year - lots of fun. And we need to add a new competition category for Rumble III - SPEED.

About emergency vests, you might also look at Doug Ritter's site for his vest ideas. I've met Doug a few times, and he really puts a lot of thought into survival and survival gear. If I ever crash in the wilderness I want to do it with Doug!

About backcountry toolkits, my toolkit has duct tape and wire, the usual small tools, a nice hatchet, and an airplane fastener kit (screws, etc.). With previous airplanes I got out of a couple of tough spots in Mexico with duct tape and wire (one with wire, one with duct tape). The toolbox is an old Sears plastic toolbox, but I've been looking for something softer that would ride better in turbulence, maybe a soft camera bag.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Yeh, our quiet little Agua Dulce airport gets pretty busy during the fire season with all the firefighting helicopters.

Hopefully we can schedule Rumble III this next year - lots of fun. And we need to add a new competition category for Rumble III - SPEED.

About emergency vests, you might also look at Doug Ritter's site for his vest ideas. I've met Doug a few times, and he really puts a lot of thought into survival and survival gear. If I ever crash in the wilderness I want to do it with Doug!

About backcountry toolkits, my toolkit has duct tape and wire, the usual small tools, a nice hatchet, and an airplane fastener kit (screws, etc.). With previous airplanes I got out of a couple of tough spots in Mexico with duct tape and wire (one with wire, one with duct tape). The toolbox is an old Sears plastic toolbox, but I've been looking for something softer that would ride better in turbulence, maybe a soft camera bag.
    I will post the part number later but 3M makes a duct style tape (light green) that is fuel resistant. I learned about it from the owner of Aero-Tech Services. They make aircraft and race car fuel cells (they were redoing B25 tanks during my last visit). The tape is great stuff and is impervious to auto or avgas. They use it exclusively in making their fuel cells.

Jon Payne
    Santa Ynez / Calabasas, CA

Thanks to everyone for all their input, some great new ideas to me. I studied Dougs survival vest video before
    flying in Alaska for a couple weeks this past June and had the ACR ELB, lazer signal and ICOM radio from previous aircraft. The fuel resistant duct tape is now on my shopping list. I found a small craftsman soft tool bag (no metal zipper or buttons) that seems to be the right size for the tools and another soft bag for oils,funnels etc. $9.00 each at Ace Hardware.

What tools are required for a tail wheel flat? Do you carry spare tube?? Mt bike air pump?

what time of year is the Rumble III. Fly in?

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFlyer View Post
    The fuel resistant duct tape is now on my shopping list.
    Hi Kyle,
    I'll chase down the part number and post it next week (you won't find it googling it). Other than color, it is exactly like duct tape except you could temporarily seal a fuel tank leak with it. I would hate to need to do that but it will work if necessary.

JP
    Jon Payne
    C-Cub SS N159JC
    Extra 300LP N25JX

Kyle,
    we haven't set the Rumble Part III yet, but if you want to send me your email address, Ill make sure you get the Newsletter when I send it out with the dates. Im also talking to CalCub about doing a 'wine country flying tour' down near where they are in the fall.... we will publish that via Newsletter too.

Thx, Rick
    rick@flysuncountry.com

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    www.suncountrycubs.com