Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Electronics & Avionics

Default General Electronics & Avionics

The C/Bs that are assembled for the two breaker L and R Ignition panel on the front of the seat base have a small tab on the top of the C/B body. These tabs on similar C/Bs already installed on the left header look like they are bent 90* outboard.

I am curious about the tab or pin. Do I just bend them back?

Would these tabs/pins normally fit in a small hole to prevent rotation?

QtlhJHCiSxqe79xuRrNS6Q.jpg
    Jim Morrical

Default Re: General Electronics & Avionics

I have not looked at the ignition breakers but the breakers in the panel of my FX-3 do not have a location hole and the tabs are bent flat. I did the same when I added the breaker for my G5.

I don't why the tab is not used for the panel breakers. The time for an NC mill tool change to drill the location holes is probably a lot less than the time spent defeating the location tab.

As mentioned, the tabs are used in a slotted or hole on the mounting surface so that one can tighten the nut/lock washer against the panel or where ever the breaker is mounted.

Also used to ensure the breaker is mounted vertically, or whatever orientation you choose, and the breaker will not rotate if the nut is vibrated loose.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 12-18-2020 at 03:06 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    As mentioned, the tabs are used in a slotted or hole on the mounting surface so that one can tighten the nut/lock washer against the panel or where ever the breaker is mounted.

Also used to ensure the breaker is mounted vertically, or whatever orientation you choose, and the breaker will not rotate if the nut is vibrated loose.

Are you stating what is normal practice or are you stating how CubCrafters actually does the installation? There is a difference.

Normal/standard practice. My plane is a EX-2 EAB so I do not know what is CC's standard practice is.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 12-18-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

So simply bending the pin over with my pliers won’t break the plastic case?
    Jim Morrical

I cannot answer as I have never done this. If you have some that are already bent, then I would say, most likely 'yes'.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    So simply bending the pin over with my pliers won’t break the plastic case?
    I had the same concern. The tab is quite hard but it can be bent over with care. I suppose it could also be cut off. It may be just as easy to make the location hole. Those circuit breakers are quite expensive.

Ref - https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus...rs_klixon.html

It appears that some breakers have the location tab and others do not. I wonder if CubCrafters originally specified a breaker without the tab and, when circuit breaker type was changed, bent the tabs rather than change all the associated drawings.

You are correct, but if you look at the breakers without the pin, you will notice that the threads have a slotted keyway allowing for a hole with a tab in it, hence orientating and rotationally locking the breaker in place.

The CB's with pins are easier to work with. After drilling the main hole (with a Unibit for example), you just drill the smaller pin size hole for the orientation you want.

Anyhow, all will work, just ensure that the lock washer is in place and don't over tighten as you can strip the nut (I know this for a fact ).
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 12-19-2020 at 08:45 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL