Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Curious Beginner

Default A Curious Beginner

Hello Everyone,

My name is Josh Baird. Alaska is where I was first introduced to the Super Cub when I began hiring an amazing bush pilot, Rich, to fly me into and drop me off deep inside of Alaskan wilderness. I have been serving our country in the United States Air Force since 2003 and have been stationed at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska for the last six years. Although I grew up in Oregon, Alaska is now my home. I absolutely love living there!

I began ground school and logged two hours of flight training summer of 2003 and then joined the Air Force shortly after beginning. Ironically, I did not continue the flight training. My Air Force career is migrating into flying duty this fall as I begin Aerial Gunner school for the HH-60G and/or the AC-130, yes I volunteered for this and I am really stoked about it! I have a renewed desire to finish the PPL over the next 6-8 months after I return from being deployed.

I am considering purchasing a CubCrafters aircraft once I have completed my PPL this fall/winter. I think CubCrafters has a very clean and sharp looking airplane that shows a lot of potential, especially for my desired use.

It only makes sense to jump in with experienced aviators, hobbyist, mechanics and locals when considering such a purchase, and lifestyle for that matter. Being the novice, beginner, newbie, inexperienced guy that I am, my question to the members of this forum is simple. I do not want to turn an experienced forum into anything other than its current members desire.

Is there anybody here willing to mentor me through the consideration process of buying and flying a CubCrafter airplane?

Thank you all for your time,

Josh
    Last edited by flybybardo; 05-27-2010 at 07:07 PM.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: A Curious Beginner

Josh,

Welcome to the forum. You will probably find lots of help here and elsewhere. On this Memorial Day weekend, thanks for doing what you do today. It is always nice to know that others have come along from where some of the rest of us left off.

Your questions are many and broad. The first things that came to my mind is that you are correct - the CubCrafters product is just what you say it is. (It performs very well, too) My other thought is that as long as you are on active duty, you will subject to PCS moves as well as TDYs of all types. Managing household goods on a PCS move is tough enough but adding an airplane into the mix makes it really hard.

Honestly, you would be very happy with any CubCrafters product but your timing might not be the best for a purchase (ie, still on active duty). Why don't you continue your training and flying by utilizing any military aero clubs that you have access to and when you are not susceptable to a PCS you can then buy an airplane.

Just a few thoughts. In the mean time, ask your questions. Many of us in the dealer network are prior military so we can indentify with your "lifestyle".

Take care,

John Moreland
    (USAF F4, A10)

John,

Thank you for your service as well. It is also nice meeting those who have paved the way. Also, thank you for welcoming me to the forums.

The concern of PCS'ing and owning an aircraft is legitimate for sure. I am considering the potential burden of owning an aircraft while on active duty. Fortunately in the Air Force HH-60 and AC-130 world there are only seven possible locations of assignment and only two of those are overseas. All of the stateside locations are great for flying. I have 12 years until I will be eligible for retirement and I would like to pay this off before I do. Also, I don't have as many factors to consider as most would in terms of family, kids and a lot of possesions. I'm pretty much an outdoor junkie and just collect gear. I would like to use the next 12 years gaining ample experience in my own cub before returning home to Alaska where I will more than likely spend most of my time off the beaten path.

I will continue to monitor and read others post until I have forumulated a few intelligent questions. Until then, I would appreciate any pointers that anyone would like to provide in regards to actual cost of ownership, insurance, financing, or building the EX.

Thank you and God Bless America!

Josh
    Last edited by flybybardo; 06-02-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Josh,

Let me jump in here with a few words. there are probably several Veterans on this forum and we like to take care of our own. I am an old coasty with a year in Nam.

The S1/S2 are great trainers to learn to fly in! I purchased "my state of the art then" S1 in Feb 2007 and used it it to get my sport pilot license.

I have gone on to get a sport pilot CFI. Here is the thing with the CFI you can offset a lot of your aircraft operational costs by getting paid to fly! Those costs in the sport cub ore very low compared to other aircraft, it burns only 4-5 gallons an hour when training and flying maneuvering speed or less! Annuals and maintenance are relative inexpensive in comparison.

There are several used S1/S2s on the market at a very good buy as these folks are typically selling to move up to the "new state of the art" Carbon Cub.

I still love my serial #6 S1 sport cub and have over 500 hrs on it now. If it was possible for you to come this way it would be my pleasure to give you a demo flight. I am sure the factory in Yakima would do the same.

Check out the kind of fun flying you can do with the sport cub by going to my website at www.couleeairservices.com

Thank you for service,

Geo

Hey Geo,

Thank you for joining in this discussion. I am on a government computer that will not allow me to access your site, but I will check it out as soon as able. I will be on the road in the States for a while this fall/winter so I will stop by if I travel through the area.

The suggestion to earn a CFI and use it to offset the cost of ownership sounds like a good idea. I will definitely consider that approach as I progress. It also leads into one of my curiosities, which is the actual cost of ownership. I’m researching insurance, financing, interest rates, maintenance, parts, standard overhaul cost, airport fees, hangar use, and anything else that seems applicable. I am also going to join the AOPA to help me as it seems like a website with a lot of knowledge.

If I understand correctly it is cheaper to own/operate a LSA versus a Certified one, but one is not allowed to use an LSA aircraft to make money. Is this a correct understanding?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a book, article, or other material for beginners who want to own/operate an airplane?

Josh
    Last edited by flybybardo; 06-05-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Josh, I live in Anchorage & keep my SuperSport Cub at Birchwood. Give me a call @ 907-333-1955 sometime & we can talk. It is people like you that keep the world going around so the rest of us can enjoy ourselves.

Thanks, Bill......................

Hey Bill,

Sorry it took me a while to respond, I haven't been able to get on the computer for a while. Thank you for the offer too. I should be back in Alaska in July, if all goes well, and will definitely take you up on the offer.

Until then, safe flying...

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by flybybardo View Post
    Hey Geo,

Thank you for joining in this discussion. I am on a government computer that will not allow me to access your site, but I will check it out as soon as able. I will be on the road in the States for a while this fall/winter so I will stop by if I travel through the area.

The suggestion to earn a CFI and use it to offset the cost of ownership sounds like a good idea. I will definitely consider that approach as I progress. It also leads into one of my curiosities, which is the actual cost of ownership. I’m researching insurance, financing, interest rates, maintenance, parts, standard overhaul cost, airport fees, hangar use, and anything else that seems applicable. I am also going to join the AOPA to help me as it seems like a website with a lot of knowledge.

If I understand correctly it is cheaper to own/operate a LSA versus a Certified one, but one is not allowed to use an LSA aircraft to make money. Is this a correct understanding?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a book, article, or other material for beginners who want to own/operate an airplane?

Josh
    Hey Josh,

I'm an A&P/Avionics dude and have been for quite awhile but know I'm a beginner too! Aviation maintenance has been a challenge and there is a certain sense of accomplishment in providing an airworthy aircraft. If you consider flying for hire then it behoove's you to go to a school that will allow you to obtain an A&P along with your pilot credentials.

Fuel and maintenance are the cost of ownership. Knowing how the aircraft is to be utilized and flown is the best way to calculate the cost. I'm into the Super Cub for its performance and relaibility. Being a beginner at flying I want to balance this performance with fuel economy. I won't need to fly out of a river bank over 50ft trees but when I'm confident and proficient at flying I want my airplane to be able to fly out of a field and clear the fence and trees.

While I'm here at Ali al Salem AB I read EAA and AOPA online and search out the websites on A/C specs and there aren't many to match the Carbon Cub EX (a Helio has more payload but not that much). I'll add aux tanks for cruise range and still have room for stuff and maybe a companion. This R&R I'll ck out the engines and avionics available at Oshkosh by gosh!

Be Careful and Accurate with the gunnery. "friendly fire is not friendly"

When I fly my airplane it will be too cool!

Later
    Dave

Woodland Park, Colorado (currently in Afghanistan)

Just perfect!

I’ve been searching for a way to get back into flying without upsetting House6 too much. One of the first things that I’ve been told to do before jumping into ownership of an aircraft is to figure out what I want to do with this plane. The Cub suits it for me and after quite a bit of online searching and reading the Cubcrafters aircraft stand out for what I want in an aircraft.

Next was to join in with a forum and gain more information about ownership and what to expect of annual costs. I did a little looking around in this forum and found Josh’s post requesting information for the new guy. Great! Then I learned about his status on active duty and the rest of the service members here that chimed in with support and offers to help. Absolutely perfect! I recently retired with 26 years in the Army and I’m currently located in Afghanistan continuing to help with the fight, so I felt right at home with you guys.

All of Josh’s questions I have myself. What might be the best model, what to expect for annual costs, what’s the best way to finance an aircraft and so on. Can you gents give numbers? I’m just looking for a ballpark figure. Coming from a place where I have no idea what it costs to keep a plane my question might seem a bit off. Sorry about that. I just have no idea what to expect, except for the purchase price listed on the site.

Thanks for the help gents. Keep up the good work Josh!

Michael
    Last edited by SFC Mike; 12-17-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Mike: in reference to your questions

"What might be the best model, what to expect for annual costs, what’s the best way to finance an aircraft and so on. Can you gents give numbers? I’m just looking for a ballpark figure. Coming from a place where I have no idea what it costs to keep a plane my question might seem a bit off. Sorry about that. I just have no idea what to expect, except for the purchase price listed on the site."

It is difficult to answer not knowing your needs or how you want to fly. But I will try to answer a few of your questions.

1. Fuel about 5 gallons an hour, real time not tach time.

2. Hanger: depends on what part of the country you reside in. its $300 to$400/mo in the NW but around $200/mo in the SW...but there are sunshades in the SW for about $100/mo

3. Insurance: A big costs $1800-$3000 depending on experience level and amount of hull coverage. If you start instructing its more likely to be close to $4000+ Forget solo/renters insurance as its nearly prohibitive!

4. Annuals: $1000 to $2000 per year, you can save $ if you owner assist. If instructing you have to have 100 hr inspections same as an annual and if your are busy that can come ever other month!

5. Financing: someone else with more knowledge can pitch in here

That is some basics that I hope help. Don't let it discourage you, the rewards of cubdriving far out pace the costs and there are always creative ways to keep costs lower.

Thank you for your service to our country and come home safe

Geo
    www.couleeairservices.com