Thread: Flight Training

Default Flight Training

Flight Instruction

The insurance on the EX requires logging five hours time with a CFI in a Carbon Cub as a condition of coverage. Finding a CFI that instructs in a Cub near to Southern Illinois proved to be a challenge.

So I contacted Brandon NeSmith, Table Rock Aviation, Morganton, North Carolina. (KMRN). Flew most of the day Saturday in a Sport Cub. Brandon is an excellent instructor and it was a great experience. He had a clear game plan, starting out with some introductory items, like a landing at a nearby grass strip followed by some ‘normal’ flight, before getting into the nitty gritty of pavement landings. He has a methodical approach and a relaxed attitude. He is very knowledgeable about the Cubcrafter's fleet. Excellent choice if anyone finds the need for such instruction.

http://tablerockaviation.com/

brandon@tablerockaviation.com

image1.jpg
    Last edited by ceslaw; 07-25-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Default Re: Flight Training

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Flight Instruction

The insurance on the EX requires logging five hours time with a CFI in a Carbon Cub as a condition of coverage. Finding a CFI that instructs in a Cub near to Southern Illinois proved to be a challenge.

So I contacted Brandon NeSmith, Table Rock Aviation, Morganton, North Carolina. (KMNR). Flew most of the day Saturday in a Sport Cub. Brandon is an excellent instructor and it was a great experience. He had a clear game plan, starting out with some introductory items, like a landing at a nearby grass strip followed by some ‘normal’ flight, before getting into the nitty gritty of pavement landings. He has a methodical approach and a relaxed attitude. He is very knowledgeable about the Cubcrafter's fleet. Excellent choice if anyone finds the need for such instruction.

image1.jpg
    That's great. What insurance company was that?

Starr Aviation. Policy brokered through Falcon Insurance, which is connected with EAA.

Starr Aviation. Policy brokered through Falcon Insurance, which is connected with EAA.
    Thanks. Yes, that is who I have been working with too. Good to know. I wanted to get builders risk but they won't cover it until you at least reserve an N number. I applied in April and still haven't gotten it. Oklahoma City says they are just now processing April requests!

When the time comes to cancel the builders risk and acquire the flight policy, you should get a refund of the unused portion of the builders risk policy. I had six months left on the builders risk when it was cancelled. Eased the pain a tiny tiny bit.

Flight Instruction

So I contacted Brandon NeSmith, Table Rock Aviation, Morganton, North Carolina. (KMRN). Flew most of the day Saturday in a Sport Cub. Brandon is an excellent instructor and it was a great experience. He had a clear game plan, starting out with some introductory items, like a landing at a nearby grass strip followed by some ‘normal’ flight, before getting into the nitty gritty of pavement landings. He has a methodical approach and a relaxed attitude. He is very knowledgeable about the Cubcrafter's fleet. Excellent choice if anyone finds the need for such instruction.

image1.jpg
    Brandon worked with me two years ago before I went out to pick up my CarbonCub. I wanted some tailwheel refresher time, not as an insurance requirement, but just a re-introduction to tailwheel stuff. I also agree, Brandon is an excellent instructor with a very nice SportCub to instruct in. I highly recommend Brandon and Table Rock Aviation.

Test Flight

I hooked up with Nate Hammond, Hammond Aero Services, Junction City, Kentucky. He runs a Cub Crafters service center and spends a lot of time ferrying Carbon Cubs as well as servicing them. I thought it would be prudent to have an experienced set of eyes look over the plane and help with the initial flights, since I had not built a plane before and had no time in a Carbon Cub EX. He graciously stopped by on the way back from Oshkosh and spent several hours going over the plane, determining it was ready for flight. It flew that evening. He then returned the following weekend and spent Saturday and Sunday with Ryan and me giving us an abundance of information and advice as we flew the initial flights.

IMG_8517.jpg
    (Ryan approved)

I can’t say enough about Nate. He has a really good sense for both the plane and the pilot with whom he is working. I would highly recommend Nate should anyone be looking for some technical assistance and help with those first flights.

And he arrived in this skywriting Chipmunk!

IMG_8518.jpg

Nates website: http://www.hammondaero.com
    Last edited by ceslaw; 08-10-2016 at 06:21 PM.

ATTABOY, Nate!!!!!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA