Thread: Well, I finally landed the Carbon Cub on our property

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Well, I finally landed the Carbon Cub on our property

Flew it from Montgomery. Quite the trip. After a fuel stop in Amarillo, went directly to the property. And made what was possibly the worst landing of my life. I know what I did wrong...basically I set up awfully...horsed it onto the runway from a bit of an angle, carried way too much speed. Basically I sucked. Should have and could have gone around at several points. But noooo...I just had to force it down. Got waaaay too close to a culvert on the right when I had an honest 60 feet left of it. When I was finally bringing it to a stop my foot slipped off the right brake pedal and almost ran off into the weeds. But that stout little airplane pulled it off. Let me get it back in the right direction. Next time I'll do a better job of controlling my speed, and put it where I want to...and the culvert doesn't even come into play if I do. No idea why I was so lousy...I guess I was just focused and blew the whole thing.

On the other hand, the plane is fine, I'm fine and I got it HOME! And for me, really screwing up and saving it is quite the confidence builder. I won't do it again that way.

https://youtu.be/SGJOhdMyiS8

Jim

Default Re: Well, I finally landed the Carbon Cub on our property

Jim,

That didn't look to bad to me!! Glad you made it home!

Mike

And here's an example of what I am trying to accomplish!

https://youtu.be/GcwjDeMNoIw

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    And here's an example of what I am trying to accomplish!

https://youtu.be/GcwjDeMNoIw

Jim
    Wow. Now that one was SLOOW! What is the camera/system that puts all that data in the picture? Is that with the G3X?

Garmin VIRB. It has its own GPS and Gmeter. Pretty cool, actually. It does NOT talk to anything on the airplane (well, I use my phone to control it). Very nice camera, I think.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    Garmin VIRB. It has its own GPS and Gmeter. Pretty cool, actually. It does NOT talk to anything on the airplane (well, I use my phone to control it). Very nice camera, I think.

Jim
    That's really very nice Jim. I didn't know it would stand alone like that. Do you have the Garmin G3X? I know they have an input for a camera cable to the VIRB and you can see a window on the panel that shows what the camera sees and you can start/stop video or take snapshots.