Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain leaking through the snap vents (while parked)

Default Rain leaking through the snap vents (while parked)

Does anyone have a solution they could recommend for getting a good seal on the snap vents. I was going to try a couple odf options:
    1) o-rings
    2) pull out the snap vents and apply a layer of RTV and let it druy. Then re-install the vents.

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG

Default Re: Rain leaking through the snap vents (while parked)

Quote Originally Posted by tautrey View Post
    Does anyone have a solution they could recommend for getting a good seal on the snap vents. I was going to try a couple odf options:
    1) o-rings
    2) pull out the snap vents and apply a layer of RTV and let it druy. Then re-install the vents.
    Bruce cover.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Bruce cover.
    Bruce covers are great and I plan to order one but I'm going to try to actually fix the problem.
    These planes should not leak. I'm going to remove the caps and apply a bead of silicon to lip, then let them dry.
    I'll post the results later after I find myself camping in a rain storm again.

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG

Bruce covers are great and I plan to order one but I'm going to try to actually fix the problem.
    These planes should not leak. I'm going to remove the caps and apply a bead of silicon to lip, then let them dry.
    I'll post the results later after I find myself camping in a rain storm again.

Silicon seal didnt work. Anything put there will cause the snap vents to ride too high. They were designed to be snapped in place where the lip is in contact with the surface. Maybe a thin gasket bonded to the surface of the overhead would work. This would be a good challenge for the guys up in Yakima to come up with a solution. Until then, I'll just use my $20 tarp that I camp under.

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG

Silicon seal didnt work. Anything put there will cause the snap vents to ride too high. They were designed to be snapped in place where the lip is in contact with the surface. Maybe a thin gasket bonded to the surface of the overhead would work. This would be a good challenge for the guys up in Yakima to come up with a solution. Until then, I'll just use my $20 tarp that I camp under.

Carry a small roll of masking tape (painters blue) and tape them off when you get to your camping spot. Better I would think than a loose fitting tarp slapping around in a storm. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Carry a small roll of masking tape (painters blue) and tape them off when you get to your camping spot. Better I would think than a loose fitting tarp slapping around in a storm. Just a thought.

Good idea! I usually put the tarp over my wing and stake it down so the wind usually isn't a problem.

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG

1) o-rings
    Could you turn the vents around 180 degrees so the solid lip faces forward when parked? Perhaps tha would direct more water away then come through

just an idea. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Could you turn the vents around 180 degrees so the solid lip faces forward when parked? Perhaps tha would direct more water away then come through

just an idea. . . .

That's a possibility. I'll try it and get back with you on the results.

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG

I just got soaked this morning due to this same issue. Any update/improvement on this over the last couple of years?

Have not tried this but the concept of a vacuum sealed cover was something I intended to investigate for covering outside of vent when parked. Would take two per snapvent to seal..one inside, one outside. I don't think vent would seal to hold vacuum by itself. I think the area is flat enough to work? Press Dome Junior is another brand. Maybe too weird...I also thought about trying a 4in Fernco Qwik Cap, upside down, fitted with an elastic or weighted line going thru vent to hold it in place. I procrastinated becuase I kinda figured that the Bruce Cover was best solution since it covers all the other places where water can come in.

I think making a rotating pop up vent that is waterproof is certainly possible but probably not economical or aerodynamic.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7E8PWS..._xnSkCbH80CZWS

qc-104-1.jpg
    Last edited by stroutmail; 12-31-2018 at 06:37 PM.