Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended Fuel Manual Errors for Double Ribs - Figure W9

Default Extended Fuel Manual Errors for Double Ribs - Figure W9

Just started building my EX-2 with Extended Fuel and Mitch and I have discovered a couple of mistakes in the "Wings - Long Range Fuel Tank" that I wanted to let others know about. Funny that no one has caught this before but figured I'd let others know to correct theirs if they are just starting also.

1. Page 52/ Section 5. PREPARE THE DOUBLE RIBS. In the 2nd paragraph where is says to take the #1, #3 and #5 ribs parts and glue them together. The part numbers for THE #5 RIBS are WRONG for the extended fuel version. The part numbers listed (SC31044-001 and 002) are for the STANDARD TANKS and wasn't replaced for this manual. The CORRECT PART NUMBERS ARE XC31035-001 and 002.

Error in Extended Fuel Manual 2.jpg

2. Page 60, Section 8 INSTALL CENTER RIBS. Same thing here in the 2nd paragraph under the "Instructions are for the left wing, right wing will be opposite" paragraph. The "SC" part numbers are wrong. Also note a couple of things in this section that I missed.
    a. The rivet part numbers to use on the ribs is listed here in this paragraph (HDW-SS/SS42D).
    b. Note that the screw and washers (AN3-3A & AN960-10L) to be installed before putting in the #5 and #12 ribs will face OUTBOARD on the rear spar.

Error in Extended Fuel Manual 1.jpg

3. On Page 62, FIGURE W9 is incorrect. The error is the way the double rib part numbers are shown. Look at the #1, #3 and #5 ribs are shown in the figure. The arrows from the part numbers point to which rib is which (double ribs). They are actually reversed. Example: The #1 rib shows that SC31047-001 as being the INBOARD rib (of the double rib) and the SC31047-002 is OUTBOARD. THIS IS INCORRECT. It's the opposite. SC31047-001 is the OUTBOARD part. This is important (obviously) because it tells you on page 62 that you should use the pre-drilled holes in the spars to attach part SC31047-001. As long as you know that the 001 part is actually OUTBOARD of the double rib, no problem. The rib will attach correctly and the rear of that rib will have to be cut out for the bolt on the inboard side of the rear spar.

Error in Extended Fuel Manual 3.jpgError in Extended Fuel Manual 4.jpg

Hope this helps in case anyone else runs into that. Guess I follow the manual too closely! . I'm sure Mitch will get it correctly quickly. He is one great guy! Always there for ya.

Default Re: Extended Fuel Manual Errors for Double Ribs - Figure W9

I have experienced the same issues, which were promptly corrected by Mitch. I was sent the wrong ribs and found this upon inventory. Correct ribs were sent out and all is well.

I'm about 90% complete on the first wing and my lessons learned are to read ahead, way ahead and look at the drawings very carefully. I find this build a bit frustrating as another build I had was primarily done from blueprints. You will also find errors or contradictions between the instructions and pictures.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    I have experienced the same issues, which were promptly corrected by Mitch. I was sent the wrong ribs and found this upon inventory. Correct ribs were sent out and all is well.

I'm about 90% complete on the first wing and my lessons learned are to read ahead, way ahead and look at the drawings very carefully. I find this build a bit frustrating as another build I had was primarily done from blueprints. You will also find errors or contradictions between the instructions and pictures.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Yes, that's correct. I read the manual 3 times, purchased and watched videos from Zach Air and read all the forums over the past 3 months and still missed this. If everyone would post the error they found, then we could get them corrected and help the next guy down the line.

I've always said there are 3 items to fixing any problems:

1. Recognize and admit there is a problem.
    2. Fix the problem
    3. And most importantly.....make a procedure or policy to prevent that problem from re-occurring.

If everyone would let Mitch and CC know of errors or problems, I have the most confidence in CC that they would implement the changes ASAP. I will be sure and post anything I find to help the next guys.

I want to be sure noone thinks I'm being negative about CC. I decided on this build based upon the credibility and extremely high reviews everyone gave for the company. I researched and even went to the factory at Yakima for a week. EVERYONE there was very nice and helpful and EXTREMELY professional. They opened up the entire assembly floor for me to visit, watch, take pictures, ask questions. I watched as they did all phases of construction from wings, fuselage, finish, painting and I even spent an entire day watching them cover a wing.

There are always going to be little things that need "tweeking" along the way with projects of this size which entails extreme details and 8,000 parts and I think they have done an excellent job. One of the BIGGEST reasons for my decision to go this route was Mitch Travis. If you are contemplating and wondering... "hmmmm......will he really be accessible and get back quickly". The answer is YES! He answers his phone calls immediately and take care of all problems. Super impressed to this point. I just want to help with the "tweeking".
    Last edited by Daveembry; 07-14-2016 at 08:02 AM.

One thing I forgot to mention; the online manual in the Dropbox is suppose to be the most current and kept updated.

Cheers
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Daveembry,
    Ugghhh. I have the same problems with my standard tank wings. Neither paper nor Dropbox manuals match packing lists. I am missing some ribs and some are mislabeled.
    I finally unpacked the ribs as I am building my wings now and am ready for them. They were the only pieces I did not unpack fully during inventory. The few discrepancies I found during inventory were quickly rectified by Mitch at that time. Since then I've been building benches, installing LED lights (awesome improvement over fluorescents) etc. in the "airplane factory" (my large stand alone shop building). Aircraft building is moving ahead now and most likely will really speed up after summer.
    So now I'm sending emails to CC during... Airventure...
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    Daveembry,
    Ugghhh. I have the same problems with my standard tank wings. Neither paper nor Dropbox manuals match packing lists. I am missing some ribs and some are mislabeled.
    I finally unpacked the ribs as I am building my wings now and am ready for them. They were the only pieces I did not unpack fully during inventory. The few discrepancies I found during inventory were quickly rectified by Mitch at that time. Since then I've been building benches, installing LED lights (awesome improvement over fluorescents) etc. in the "airplane factory" (my large stand alone shop building). Aircraft building is moving ahead now and most likely will really speed up after summer.
    So now I'm sending emails to CC during... Airventure...
    David
    I feel your pain!! I had a notepad full of questions for Mitch since last Friday and I finally texted him this afternoon and asked if he could hear me crying from Osh. That I was "lost, cold and hungry. Please help". He promptly called and we had it all figured out in 10 minutes. Those Washington boys aren't use to the heat they are in up there!

I'm just putting the final touches on my first wing and have a good start on the 2nd already. Looks like I will have around 75-80 hours in the left wing. I think the 2nd will be much much shorter not having to read manuals, look at photos, watch videos and try and figure out what to do. It all comes together great and the CC people are great to work with.

Another detail to watch (was the cause of my only rivet having to be drilled out) for is that the #1 nose and tail rib and actually the opposite wing rib! So if you are building the left wing, the nose/tail ribs for #1 will be the 002 (right wing) parts and vice versa on the right. (At least that is the way the extended tank version works but I think it's probably the same with standard)

Let me know if you have any questions about it while it's still fresh on my mind!

David, I would suggest counting the fasteners and confirm fastener type in the tote boxes if you have the time. I have found minor errors during my wing build. Not big issues, but frustrating when you are stopped while the correct fastener is in transient.

In regards to response time from CC, I would give them a positive rating but not excellent. This is not a slam to the CC company, and I understand everyone is busy. Every issue I have had has been resolved, but I guess not at the pace I would prefer.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    David, I would suggest counting the fasteners and confirm fastener type in the tote boxes if you have the time. I have found minor errors during my wing build. Not big issues, but frustrating when you are stopped while the correct fastener is in transient.

In regards to response time from CC, I would give them a positive rating but not excellent. This is not a slam to the CC company, and I understand everyone is busy. Every issue I have had has been resolved, but I guess not at the pace I would prefer.
    That's correct.....takes a looong day to inventory and I did find quite a few of the "bins" in the totes completely empty when it showed there should have been "x" amount......but....worse....I did find 1 instance so far where the packing list and the actual parts (small, tote parts) were not the correct amount (even though they were all received). If you really need 38 AN3-3A bolts and you only show 25 received (and 25 on the packing list), then you are still short. I found this to be true (with this part number). So nothing to do about that except just let Mitch know as soon as possible so he can get them out.

So far they have been great. I think he has shipped me 3 shipments and they all went out the next day after I informed him.

OK,
    So, Mitch just called me at 850pm CST from Airventure to straighten things out.
    That is a very pleasant and welcome surprise!
    I can continue to progress with what I have and he will work on getting me the ribs needed.
    Nice.
    David

I bought a few hardware packs from Spruce to cut down on work stoppages from missing hardware. It also helps save time for when you drop that last nut and it vanishes on the hangar floor. I am sure I have many hours of my build hunting for dropped nuts and washers.

DAR arrives this morning. Fingers crossed.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jake
    Finished CCEX N96FV!